You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-10-2015 16:45:40  #31

Re: 2015 NaNoWriMo

Considering that it's only a first draft, I don't worry too much about formatting. For the sake of consistency, I do make sure that the first line on every page is in the same place (very easy to do when using the SG1 page injector), and other than that, the first paragraph of every new chapter is double that distance down the page, and its first sentence indented.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-10-2015 09:29:30  #32

Hmm. I'm reasonably sure there's no way on earth that I have either the time or the headspace, but I'm actually thinking I just might...

22-10-2015 09:38:00  #33

Eh, might as well put me on the list too. Treefaller is the same name for both sites.
    I'm going to use a Smith-Corona Sterling this year, as it is 12-pitch (rather than my KMM which still has fairly stiff keys and only 10-pitch font). Last year I used a computer so this is going to be a bit different this time. We shall see if the reduction in distractions (like surfing the net) will lead to something more than the 8k words I did last time.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

22-10-2015 09:55:03  #34

My NaNoWriMo name is notethelmerman. I just put 'literary' for the genre - it's a catch-all. I've never actually done it before, though I did sign up one previous year - it's going to be a first for me, but I think it's the only way to give myself a real actual deadline. And a deadline is the only thing that will get me going.

22-10-2015 12:06:23  #35

I will need to go online and update my friends list on the NaNo forum.  Sounds weird to have a friends list, doesn't it?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

22-10-2015 12:10:31  #36

So, aside from Uwe, do any of you know which machine you will use or will it be multiple machines? For me, I don't know.  I haven't been at this long enough to decide that.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

22-10-2015 15:54:40  #37

I think it'll probably be mainly the Hermes 3000. I can see the odd page being written on an Olympia, too.

22-10-2015 16:19:00  #38

colrehogan wrote:

I haven't been at this long enough to decide that.

I know the question wasn't meant for me, but here's a few things to consider when selecting a typewriter(s) for your NaNoWriMo experience:
» Using a model with a larger typeface (pica), double spaced, is much easier to edit, but you'll use more paper.
» Using a model with a smaller typeface (elite) will use less paper.
» Make sure to select a machine that has a highly legible typeface. Not only wouldn't you want to read a 50k word draft in cursive, but if you plan to use OCR software to digitze your typing you'll want an easily recognizable typeface. If you are going the OCR route, I recommend that you test the typeface of the machine you're going to use beforehand.
» For the sake of continuity and not diverting precious time away from writing to repair and maintenance, I highly suggest selecting a machine that is reliable and in good working order.
» A fresh ribbon not only provides a highly legible draft, psychologically it's a nice way to kick off such a big project.
» Select a machine that you can leave out on your desk for the next month. If desk space is at a premium it might be easier to keep a compact portable on it than constantly moving a big standard back and forth.
» Perhaps most important, look for a model that you really enjoy typing with. Type action and comfort are critical when faced with this kind of a work load; this isn't the time to use the machine that looks great but has a heavy type action or sticky keys.
» If you plan on implementing a lot of formatting, you might want to select a machine with a tabulator.
» In some rare cases you might find a certain model doesn't have a character set that will fulfill your needs. Make sure the machine you pick out has all the characters you'll need for your draft.
» You might want to give some consideration to how loud your machine is. A model with an exceptionally high pitched or loud type action might not be an issue when typing out one page, but it might drive you nuts by page 10. Similarly, if you plan to type late at night a machine with a quieter action might be more desirable.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-10-2015 04:25:13  #39

The obvious question presents itself, too - the integration of computerised devices, notes when on the go, emailed ideas to self from work, etc etc. What works best will vary from person to person. One might favour a little notebook for writing ideas in throughout the day; another will need to keep staring at their screen at work to escape detection, so will email ideas home. I do think getting a mobile plan in place has got to be a big help in hhitting this word count. The thinking has to be 24/7 and no idea can be lost. 

23-10-2015 13:11:26  #40

colrehogan wrote:

So, aside from Uwe, do any of you know which machine you will use or will it be multiple machines? For me, I don't know.  I haven't been at this long enough to decide that.

I will be using a Remington portable model 2 from 1925.  the platen is a rock so its super loud which blocks out all the other noises

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

Board footera