You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-10-2015 23:55:33  #41

Re: 2015 NaNoWriMo

just saw this on NaNoWriMo - a typewriter poster - from 2007

https://store.nanowrimo.org/merchandise/nanowrimo-2007-typewriter-poster

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

26-10-2015 07:30:23  #42

So, with decent OCR software out of my budget does anybody have a fairly accurate method for estimating word count with a typewriter?

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

26-10-2015 09:58:57  #43

One word is five characters. Set your margins and line settings, and count the number of a) characters per line and b) lines. Divide the characters by five: that is your words per line. Multiply by lines per page and hey presto.

26-10-2015 10:41:41  #44

KatLondon wrote:

One word is five characters. Set your margins and line settings, and count the number of a) characters per line and b) lines. Divide the characters by five: that is your words per line. Multiply by lines per page and hey presto.

Perhaps I will give that a try.  It sounds much less tedious than counting every word, and more accurate than counting the words of four or five pages and just averaging them.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

26-10-2015 13:18:22  #45

If you're going to manually create a word count you'll still need to use a random text generator in order to submit your count for validation at the end of the month. This article is about handwritten drafts, but applies to typewritten ones as well: http://nanowrimo.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/329177-how-do-i-validate-my-novel-if-i-m-writing-by-hand

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-10-2015 00:29:16  #46

How did you get the word count thing in your first post, Uwe?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

30-10-2015 20:47:21  #47

Smith Corona Sterling has a new ribbon and I've got it tuned up and ready to go. I'm three-hole-punching my pages and I've got a loose-leaf notebook just for this project. We will have to see if using the manual typer this year is better than using the puter, which I used last year. I've been writing character bios all week, I guess that is acceptable for advance work. Best of luck everyone!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

31-10-2015 14:16:08  #48

colrehogan wrote:

How did you get the word count thing in your first post, Uwe?

You can find it in the "Word-Count Helpers" page at the NaNoWriMo website. I thought it would be fun to have a master counter for all of the TT members that are taking part, but if anyone prefers not to have their name included please let me know.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-10-2015 16:13:21  #49

treefaller wrote:

Smith Corona Sterling has a new ribbon and I've got it tuned up and ready to go.

A solid machine and good choice for the job at hand. The hole punch and binder combination is a good one too; I'm using a seperate hanging file folder for each chapter as I intend to give this work at least one or two edits when NaNoWriMo is over before I decide if it's good enough to keep investing time on.

Well everyone, it's NaNoWriMo Eve! Everyone buzzing? Everyone stoked? Are you eyeing the keyboard of your chosen machine with excitement and anticipation? I spent a little while today getting my desk ready for the next 30 days (or less), checking my notes in Scribner, reading over the previous chapter of the novel, testing the scanner and OCR software, and most importantly, making sure the big SG is ready to go.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, AND HAVE A LOT OF FUN!

01-11-2015 17:53:39  #50

Don't forget to update your wordcounts, wrimos! Hope it's going well for you all so far on day one.

Board footera