You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-11-2015 13:20:12  #1

Optima Elite 3 vs Olympia SM-4

Maybe there's another head to head out there, but I'm in a tricky spot. I found an Optima Elite 3 and an Olympia SM-4 for just about the same price ($80) in excellent condition on Craigslist. I have to choose between them, unfortunately, and I'm wondering what the typosphere has to say. I've heard merits on both. Assuming condition is identical, which one wins the round? Thanks in advance!

12-11-2015 13:45:29  #2

Re: Optima Elite 3 vs Olympia SM-4

Both machines are well worth owning, but assuming that they are in similar condition, I would buy the typewriter that would be harder to find in my area. In most parts of the world you'll find ten Olympia models for sale for every Optima (and that's probably a conservative ratio), so I'd opt for the Elite in the knowledge that another SM4 is likely turn up again. Conversely, you could offer each seller $40 and buy both for the price of one...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-11-2015 13:47:11  #3

Yeah $80 is about the lowest they'll go. I forgot to mention I do plan to use this just about every day, so typability goes a long way

12-11-2015 13:56:16  #4

If this is strictly a performance debate, I'd have to give the nod to the SM4. Well-respected and a very popular typewriter, it's the more refined and feature-rich model when placed next to an Elite 3. That doesn't mean that you couldn't type comfortably all day long with the Elite. Olympia models are iconic, but there's a special history associated with the Optima and you can't overlook the intrigue of owning a machine that was produced under the oppression of a communist government.

Hopefully Valiant will chime in too. He owns a nice example of an Elite and is very familiar with the SM models; I'd be interested to read his opinion on this question.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-11-2015 03:02:54  #5

Uwe wrote:

Hopefully Valiant will chime in too. He owns a nice example of an Elite and is very familiar with the SM models; I'd be interested to read his opinion on this question.

I just did a quick typing comparison between two Elites and an Olympia SM3 (I don't currently have an SM4). I think if I was looking at a regimen of daily typing I might lean to the Olympia -- the key action seems a bit lighter and more responsive than the Optima. And that's pretty much how the SMs and Elites have always compared in my experience. However, I'm not sure what my 'desert island' choice would be between them; I LOVE the fine looks of the Elite and they might -- ultimately -- inspire me to type more than the Olympia, which has a slight edge in performance. 

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

13-11-2015 09:01:25  #6

Well this next weekend (21/22) I'll have the opportunity to look them over in person before making a decision. In lieu of any major differences or drawbacks between machines, are there any specific issues to look out for? They say they're both excellent condition, but who really knows...

13-11-2015 10:51:04  #7

The SM might exhibit what could be described as carriage 'sraping' on carriage return. My understanding is that the issue is not uncommon for the SMs, but is often easily resolved. It was discussed here:
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1046
Uwe may have some advice on what else to look for on both machines.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

13-11-2015 12:48:02  #8

Looks like beak had a glowing review of his SM-4...
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=137

Man this is tough. I think the Optima would indeed provide the inspiration/muse necessary for the daily grind. FYI my daily drivers are an early '70s Ventura by Olivetti and a late '40s Royal Arrow. Occasionally I switch to a 50s-ish Smith Corona Super Silent with elite typeface.

13-11-2015 12:51:29  #9

(Ventura also known as the Dora, apparently)

13-11-2015 15:52:48  #10

I am not familiar with the Elite, but if the Elite is basket shift instead of carriage shift, that would be one important differentiator. It may not make a difference to you, but many folks find carriage shift (as with the Olympia) is a little more effortful than basket shift.

Board footera