You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-1-2016 16:17:11  #1

Ribbon...

So I found a source for the proper reversing Underwood bichrome ribbons with the grommet and after ordering a couple decided to offer my still good uncrommeted bichrome ribbon to a friend with a portable with the red/black ribbon as his machine badly needs a new one.
I asked if he wanted it and he said he did but wasn't sure if his machine took bichrome...  I felt kind of bad explaining the obvious that "bichrome" simply means two color. Lol    

28-2-2016 00:58:58  #2

Re: Ribbon...

Some say that certain typewriters must have the grommet to reverse the ribbon travel.  All you have to do is just tie a knot about six inches from the end on both sides, and you'll have the same thing, whether it's bichrome or unichrome.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

28-2-2016 11:22:23  #3

I buy all my ribbons with the eyelet (all black since I intend to use them for writing and not for display). And then, if the typer doesn't use an eyelet, I just snip off the end and poke a hole in the end of the ribbon for the little arrowhead hook. I would think tying a knot would leave a pretty big bump on the ribbon spool. But either way would work. It's all about getting a fresh ribbon to run through it to make nice, crisp, dark characters.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

28-2-2016 22:35:52  #4

I have an eyelet setter and some eyelets so I could just as easily add some if I got ribbon that didn't have any

Board footera