You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-1-2016 09:38:05  #1

Consul? Hanimex? Highness? Scrap?

Hello again typers. I'd appreciate your information and advice, as I'm perplexed. I've got my eye on an advertisement for a typewriter in my area, and while I mostly want it for the gorgeous canvas typewriter case it comes with, I can't really justify the AU$40 asking price for the case alone, so... where does this machine stand in the world of typewriters?

It's branded Hanimex (above), and a Google search revealed very little about this brand's history, other than the fact it's of Australian import, and that a brand called Hanimex once produced 35mm cameras. What's more, the typewriter looks strangely like...

...this "Highness" I found on the internet. Which also looks strangely like...

...this Czechoslovakian "Consul" I found on the internet.

Is it just one manufacturer producing these brands? Or maybe a case of identity theft? The only comparison I can make for cross-cultural design theft is the Russian "Zorki 1" rangefinder camera that was near-identical to the German Leica III of the same period. Could this be the typewriter equivalent? I happen to know my Zorki is vastly inferior to its "genuine" counterpart... My question is, can anyone here comment on the Hanimex's quality? Is it a rebranded Consul, or a cheaper copy? Worth its weight in scrap, maybe?

Thanks for your help.

07-1-2016 12:13:09  #2

Re: Consul? Hanimex? Highness? Scrap?

It's a rebranded Consul typewriter, not uncommon as these models were sold under many different brand names including Commodore (see photos below), and were sometimes even rebranded twice as was the case with the Commodore-Simpson's version. As for the Hanimex and Highness names, it's possible they were department stores and that Consul was producing the machines as a private label product.

Consul was the name used by Czech manufacturer Zbrojovka Works for the typewriters it produced, and I've seen a few different model numbers associated with the case shape in your top photo. The serial number would tell us a lot more, but my guess is that it's an early to mid '60s model. I have a number of these ultra-portables and aside from the appealing organic shape of their case, they are defined by their wonderfully light yet concise type action.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-1-2016 00:18:21  #3

Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly (and with pictures!), Uwe. Much appreciated. Sounds like it's worth investing that $40, for a good typewriter or at least to broaden my experience with these kinds of portables. Cheers for that.

08-1-2016 00:34:20  #4

If it's in good working condition, I'd pay $40 all-day-long. Make sure to check the feet under the machine. The Achilles heel with Consul machines is the rubber the company used. Many I've bought had rotting rubber, and the feet on those ultra-portables are a grommet that are a bit of a pain to fabricate. If the feet are flattened or rotted away it can prevent the machine from working properly. Not a deal breaker for me, but it does mean some work.
 ​There are photos of what I'm talking about it this previous post: http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=4976#p4976 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-1-2016 02:04:49  #5

Oof, that's some ugly rotting. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to check it thoroughly before buying. My Olivetti M44's rubber parts were also deteriorating, not as badly as in that photo, but badly enough to need replacing. I gave up the search long ago. It was just too difficult to find or create fitting replacements.

It's strange that missing feet can stop a typewriter working properly. Do you know why that's the case? Is it because the mechanism underneath is exposed?

08-1-2016 02:25:33  #6

tojeem wrote:

It's strange that missing feet can stop a typewriter working properly. Do you know why that's the case? Is it because the mechanism underneath is exposed?

On some machines, if they sit too low, different parts such as the U-bar may not have the clearance from the table to operate properly.

08-1-2016 02:55:03  #7

The space bar not triggering is probably the most likely thing to be impeded from missing feet, though it is not the case on all machines, but on many, the bottom of it travels below the frame and can hit the table and not complete its movement.

08-1-2016 03:23:18  #8

Ah. Most of the portables I've owned have a metal or plastic plate underneath, covering the U-bar mechanism to ensure nothing's going to hit the table. As such, they could even be used carefully on your lap! But I guess they can't all be like that. Thanks for the info

08-1-2016 03:44:40  #9

Now that I think about it, I am not sure if the U-bar itself hangs low enough on most machines, but the space bar can. Before I refooted my Remington Model 2, the metal tabs that hang below the space bar would clack on the table.Since the space bar triggers other parts of the of the mechanism, it could be problematic. After I posted, I checked some of my machines, and I am not sure the u-bar would hit the table, but the space bar would on a few. Others would be unaffected by missing feet. It depends on the machine. It may affect a machine if it has parts that travel below the edge of the frame.

08-1-2016 09:26:32  #10

tojeem wrote:

Hello again typers. I'd appreciate your information and advice, as I'm perplexed. I've got my eye on an advertisement for a typewriter in my area, and while I mostly want it for the gorgeous canvas typewriter case it comes with, I can't really justify the AU$40 asking price for the case alone, so... where does this machine stand in the world of typewriters?

It's branded Hanimex (above), and a Google search revealed very little about this brand's history, other than the fact it's of Australian import, and that a brand called Hanimex once produced 35mm cameras. What's more, the typewriter looks strangely like...

...this "Highness" I found on the internet. Which also looks strangely like...

...this Czechoslovakian "Consul" I found on the internet.

Is it just one manufacturer producing these brands? Or maybe a case of identity theft? The only comparison I can make for cross-cultural design theft is the Russian "Zorki 1" rangefinder camera that was near-identical to the German Leica III of the same period. Could this be the typewriter equivalent? I happen to know my Zorki is vastly inferior to its "genuine" counterpart... My question is, can anyone here comment on the Hanimex's quality? Is it a rebranded Consul, or a cheaper copy? Worth its weight in scrap, maybe?

Thanks for your help.

Regarding the Hanimex name, it was an import-export business founded, in Australia apparently, by one Jack Hannes. Hence Han-Im-Ex.  You're right about them being a big name in cameras, mainly in my experience the Praktica brand made in East Germany. I don't believe they actually made anything.

Board footera