You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-1-2016 18:00:50  #1

"B" Key Doesn't Make Full Impression on Manual Typewriter

Hi everyone,

I'm partly new here, but I am looking for all sources of help for the issue that I have. I own a Royal Companion typewriter, made in Canada. And I've had this issue for quite a while, but only recently decided to finally solve the issue.

Now, a while back when I first got the thing, I was having small issues which I managed to fix. But upon this aggravation, I remember hitting one of the keys with immense force, to the point when my finger was really panging. That key was the B key. Now, surprise surprise, it doesn't type so swell anymore. So, I was hoping for some extra opinions on the case.

Here's a scanned image of how it types now:

It barely makes an impression unless if I apply a lot of force. The capital B doesn't bug me so much, but the lower case b is what really gets me.
The segment on the third line that reads "bnbnbnbn," that's to show the same amount of force that I applied to the "b" and "n" keys, and the significant difference in their results. The b is wack, basically.

Now, I've had others tell me that maybe the type bar is crooked, but I keep examining it and comparing it to the other type bars, and I can't say that that's the issue. It looks completely straight. But here is a picture of the b type bar lifted up:

Every component that is linked to the b key seems to be in perfect condition--as in, straight.
And I don't believe that the segment slot is the issue, either. (Is the segment slot the dashed areas that the type bar slides into as it approaches the guide? Correct me if this is not the case).
Here is an image with all the keys resting together:

So, really, I am stumped. I feel like the issue is something internally that I cannot see.
But I am looking for all assumptions and willing to try all doable steps once I've gathered enough responses.
If you need more pictures, just let me know. Any advice would greatly help.

27-1-2016 18:12:53  #2

Re: "B" Key Doesn't Make Full Impression on Manual Typewriter

You've definitely got something wrong with that B key,compared to all the rest. Is the solder cracked on the type slug which would allow the slug to shift and set back farther from the platen? I can't see it from the picture, but you might take a bright light and a magnifier and have a good look at it from all angles.
   The baselines on both the cap and lower case B seem to line up fine with the rest of the letters, so that means that your typebar is not bent (which you've pointed out already) There could be a keybar part bent that might cause it to strike lighter, but the impression is controlled by where the typebar strikes the ring and and that would appear to be unchanged.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

27-1-2016 20:40:39  #3

Applying more force is never a good idea when using a machine that was designed to be used with a minimum of effort.

​The problem is that the 'B' slug is "off feet". If all the type slugs were exhibiting that characteristic you would most likely have to adjust the carriage shift limit screw, but since it's only the one slug, my guess would be that the angle of the slug itself needs to adjusted. Again, something that should be done with a minimum of force - and in extremely small increments.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-1-2016 17:12:38  #4

Although I cannot see and handle your machine, all the symptoms point to the soldered joint between the type slug and the typebar having failed.  If you can apply a pair of long-nose pliers across the top and bottom of the slug and find that it moves slightly on the typebar when you apply pressure, then the joint has definitely failed.  Re-soldering is really a job for a professional - if you have one in your area.

28-1-2016 17:38:43  #5

Hm, okay, I've read all your opinions and have decided to get a quick check up at this local repair shop which professionalizes in fixing typewriters. I'll see how much the estimate is, and if the price is daunting, then I may just keep the typewriter as is, maybe try to adjust the slug with needle nose pliers, since I think maybe it's just slightly bent. But depends on what the individual at the repair shop says.
Others can still share their opinions if more viewers appear on this post during the after hours. My ears are still open. Thank you though, so far.

28-1-2016 19:29:26  #6

Horrorfor wrote:

Others can still share their opinions if more viewers appear on this post during the after hours. My ears are still open. Thank you though, so far.

Just so you know, thetypewriterman is a professional and if you're going to follow any opinion it should be his. The rest of us here are amateurs in varying degrees.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-1-2016 19:29:55  #7

Hi there.  It was me who offered an opinion on reddit.  I think taking it to a professional is a good idea.  I hadn't considered the solder failing, but that is a possibility.  The type bar doesn't have to be bent much to make a difference in the impression on the paper, and what Uwe said above was sort of what I was talking about... the bend being in the angle of the type bar head, where the slug is attached would only have to be slightly off to mess up the impression.

Anyway, taking it to a professional will get it sorted.  Whether it is resoldering or just a slight forming, I wouldn't think the charge would be very high. I could be wrong.

28-1-2016 23:11:12  #8

Spazmelda wrote:

Hi there.  It was me who offered an opinion on reddit.

Oh hey, nice to see a familiar face. I decided to post on here as well besides that subreddit, considering it seemed dead.
I'm getting the thing checked out tomorrow by a repair man, so we'll see what the damage is in terms of price--heeding the advice of both thetypewriterman and Uwe. I'm not familiar with soldering at all.
I'm remaining mentally positive that the price won't be costly. I'll update tomorrow in case anyone is interested in the end result.

29-1-2016 15:46:37  #9

If the typeface (slug) needs re-soldering, it really shouldn't take more than 30 to 45 minutes.  Hopefully your repair shop would charge accordingly.

29-1-2016 23:40:51  #10

thetypewriterman wrote:

If the typeface (slug) needs re-soldering, it really shouldn't take more than 30 to 45 minutes.  Hopefully your repair shop would charge accordingly.

Yes, hopefully. Actually, I never went this morning. Overslept. I sampled some Black British tea last night, and lo and behold, I was up til 5am. I'm going to head over there on Monday though. See how this turns out.

Board footera