You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-2-2016 21:34:20  #1

Noiseless mainspring tension adjuster stuck

One of the reasons why I love the Noiseless standard, is the mainspring tension adjuster. However, the lever to decrease the tension is... stuck. I had to manually turn the mainspring when I first got the typewriter to increase the tension because the slot for the screwdriver was stuck too. It seems like a mechanical problem rather than gunk. Though I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Also, any general cleaning techniques for the Noiseless standard? It's all so tightly packed together that I can't reach the mechanisms. The type-bars are sort of sluggish so when I type fast, they clash. Any advice from other Noiseless owners would be wonderful.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

19-2-2016 00:03:20  #2

Re: Noiseless mainspring tension adjuster stuck

Manufacturer? Year? Model? I don't know whether you're asking about a Noiseless standard (the manufacturer), or a Remington Noiseless model like a '20s Model 6, or a late '40s Model 10.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-2-2016 06:23:28  #3

My Royal Standard had the screw too to adjust the mainspring, and it was just stuck. I had to put a lot of force on it to get it to loosen. But once I did that, it was fine.
Maybe try soaking the screw with PB Blaster, then try unscrewing/turning it?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

19-2-2016 14:35:44  #4

If this is regarding the Underwood Noiseless standard (and I think it is) then the Ames manual says to loosen the lock nut first, then turn the adjusting screw in the middle. I had mine completely out of the machine (which isn't too difficult) so I liberally oiled everything with gun oil and worked the lock nut loose and then played with the adjusting screw while the spring drum was out of the machine. If I remember right, I tightened the lock nut until there was starting to be some resistance on the adjusting screw, but not too much or the adjusting screw wouldn't turn at all.
     Then I left it that way and put it back in. Now i just insert a screwdriver and turn the screw to the right to tighten the spring. I probably should snug up the lock nut after that, but it works okay for me to leave it so far. I also worked the ratchet mechanism loose when I had it out so all that works fine on my machine. Gun oil is great stuff. Good luck!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

20-2-2016 00:00:39  #5

Oh, sorry Uwe, must've forgot the essential details again....

It's a 1940 Underwood Noiseless Standard

24-2-2016 18:25:43  #6

Apparently all I had to do was loosen the lock nut like treefaller suggested. Thanks for the help!

Board footera