You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-2-2016 18:41:22  #1

1914 Remington model 10 restore to working?

I've finished my winter project, the Underwood Noiseless Standard, At least, it's working now. And so now I turn my sights onward towards another garage queen waiting patiently for my gentle ministrations. Yes, it's time to see what I can do with the 1914 (?) Remington model 10 standard machine. I'm starting this on 19 Feb 2016, but it may not take too long since I'm not expecting to be able to get her working again. That would be fantastic if I could, but this is a real rustbucket as the pictures show.

First, what's missing: two feet are missing, the paper table with the neat "Remington" decal is missing, and I think there is supposed to be a cosmetic nameplate behind the keyboard to cover this silver looking piece of metal, but I might be wrong there. The platen has a wooden core that got wet and swelled and split the platen rubber for 2-3 inches, and, of course, the draw tape is broken. There will no doubt be other things I find missing/broken as I work along. But I'm impressed that I got the platen turning and the carriage moving left and right and the shift mechanism working today. Now I really need to figure out how to get the platen off, and how to get the carriage off. The platen has two set screws that are already halfway stripped out so that's going to be a project.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

19-2-2016 19:16:10  #2

Re: 1914 Remington model 10 restore to working?

You know whats funny?
All the rust and yet the keys look new....

And the bad part is that the rust is still orange, which means its new. Now do any of the keys work or anything?

Anyways, I wish you luck!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

19-2-2016 22:09:43  #3

Do you have the D.E Fox repair manual from TWDB? If not you should download it as it contains instructions for removing the carriage on a Remington 10/12/16. 

My blog - Just Typewriters

20-2-2016 10:57:30  #4

Thanks Typewriterguy, I forgot to mention that all of the celluloid (?) keytops have disintegrated (apparently due to exposure to direct sun), so it's just the heavy printed cardboard that you see now (likely bleached whiter by the sun). So yeah, if I want to do the job right I'll have to figure out something to keep my dirty fingers from mussing the keytops.
     And thanks for the tip on the Fox manuals 12ax7. I was just looking at the Ames manual and seeing that it deals with the Rem 17 model, and that doesn't match the model 10 at all.

20-2-2016 12:04:24  #5

treefaller, I believe there is a person selling new typewriter keyrings and tops on eBay. Maybe you should try contacting them for the keytops?

Back from a long break.

28-2-2016 11:31:31  #6

Thanks for the tips. The Fox manual was just what I needed. Update: (28 Feb 2016) I got the carriage off this morning. Now I'll be able to see if I can get any of the typebars to move.

28-2-2016 12:18:26  #7

Have any CLR? That stuff cuts through light rust fast.

Back from a long break.

28-2-2016 13:01:35  #8

I took off one typebar and oiled it up to see if it will work loose very easily. It doesn't. And I have determined that I'm going to have to take the whole top off to get access to the lower row of typebars. I have some CLR and also some naval jelly. So I guess I need to concentrate on getting the top cover off and then take out all of the typebars and soak them in naval jelly (maybe diluted a bit). Then we'll see if they will loosen up enough to make the machine work correctly.

28-2-2016 17:52:38  #9

Evaporust?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

21-3-2016 16:46:16  #10

That's a lot of rust on that beauty, but still worth a shot! Wish you luck

Board footera