You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-3-2016 13:12:39  #11

Re: My current project- Corona 4 new keys

Spazmelda wrote:

By the way... if anyone needs clear replacement key tops I'd be glad to cut some out for you (assuming you think 5 mil plastic would suit your needs).  I'd even be willing to print and cut some replacement legends.  I can probably do a decent job matching existing keys.  The clear plastic and cutting of the legends is super easy and fast with the Cricut.  Certainly the easiest part of this project!

You know Spazmelda - I happen to be working on a 1914 Remington model 10 right now and I'm going to need replacement windows for the keytops at some time. The labels (legends?) look to be in pretty good shape, but the clear windows are completely disintegrated by the sun. I've seen the actual measurements on a web page I just visited yesterday so I'll see if I can find them again. Otherwise, I'll take a few off and measure the diameter. I'll get back to you on that.
   Good looking Corona!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

12-3-2016 16:49:08  #12

Sure, just let me know.

12-3-2016 17:03:12  #13

Thanks Spazmelda -- I believe the windows should be 12 mm diameter (according to the PDF from Union type foundry) or 1/2 inch (by my ruler), but don't start cutting yet.

I took a good look at what I've got back there and I'm not sure I can get the rings off. They don't have the little tabs like other old typers I've looked at. This looks like a cup shaped metal piece attached to the steel key bar, and then the chrome plated ring just squeezes down around it and either holds on by friction or maybe it's glued or soldered, I don't know. And I don't know yet how I'm going to get it off without damaging it. So just hold off for awhile until I try a few things. Thanks.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

12-3-2016 17:23:31  #14

Okay, no problem. Good luck getting those off.  Not sure how you'd do that!

12-3-2016 17:24:13  #15

Or get them back on again once you do get them off, come to think of it.

14-3-2016 20:06:27  #16

All done with the key tops!  Now polishing and decals.

15-3-2016 00:37:28  #17

Very nicee job!!!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera