You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-3-2016 18:27:00  #1

Hmmmm. What would cause this?

The left margin is inconsistent, the margin release and backspace work only sometimes, and the single quote key and ^ key on the right don't advance the carriage.

I've got a clue about the latter issue. Those 2 key levers in question look different than all the others. Almost as though they're not fully inserted into the semicircle plate that holds them. See how the others all look smooth where they disappear into that semi-circle, but 2 keys look like they're not solid arms but have a bite out of them?

Margin photo: http://i.imgur.com/qakHElx.jpg
levers photo: http://i.imgur.com/za5DsKf.jpg
levers photo2: http://i.imgur.com/myjrvJH.jpg

I took this to a shop, and they said they can't fix issues like these on a typewriter like this. Other than that, it's a speed demon - a rocket of a typewriter. I hate to write it off as worthless.

Are all these issues likely related to one or two things? And if so, any idea what I take off/apart to get those levers right and/or fix it? I'm semi-handy with tinkering.

- from somewhere in Forest Park

28-3-2016 19:22:33  #2

Re: Hmmmm. What would cause this?

Asher Black wrote:

and the single quote key and ^ key on the right don't advance the carriage.

This key is suppose to function that way. Is a "dead key" and is used for making diacritical marks (accent marks) above letters.

28-3-2016 19:35:59  #3

As far as the levers looking different, they might have been replaced or swapped, either as a repair, or to customize it with certain characters, most likely the latter. If they move freely, they are probably fine. I have a German machine that has a couple typebars that are slightly different, as someone probably converted it from qwertz to qwerty ages ago (my y bar looks slightly different.)

28-3-2016 19:56:04  #4

It's a Kolibri! Never write it off as worthless, if you have a Kolibri that types like a speed demon you have treasure.

I wonder if you just need to give the workings a good clean with eg cotton buds and solvent... the fact that the backspace also plays up sometimes makes me thing there;s a general stiffness/dirt issue in your innards. Trace the action when you press the keys and clean all along the levers etc... sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs! It looks from your picture of the type bars asa if the segment could do with a clean too. In my experience, cleaning - and then cleaning some more, and some more - can work miracles. 

Re the ' key - do you mean the 8? - not advancing the carriage, is it maybe missing its little spring? Or maybe you need to get a cotton bud (gently, being careful of springs) into the wheel of the escapement... 

I have a Kolibri that's missing one of its carriage knobs, and the top of its backspace key, but I forgive it because it's such a great typer, and so very beautiful and tactile.

28-3-2016 19:58:20  #5

Btw, I have a few machines that do this left margin thing - it is annoying, I agree. If just a good old clean doesn't fix it, maybe one of the guys here has a better suggestion.... I'll be interested.

29-3-2016 13:38:25  #6

OK. I'll do as good a cleaning as I can do without taking it apart. THere are no screws on the bottom plate to take it off - just the screws that hold on the feet. So I don't know how to get in very far. I'll do my best. Thanks But are you saying both the ' key and the ^ key are dead keys? Those are the 2 with the arms different, so it correlates. And any notion what causes the margin issue?

29-3-2016 13:41:00  #7

Wow - I think you're totally right about the diacritical marks. I can use them to change an e to an è etc. So then it's only the backspace, margin release, and inconsistent left margin that's a problem. That would all seem somehow related.

29-3-2016 14:01:59  #8

Left margin adjustment is pretty common fix on the machines I've gotten. I don't know anything about your Groma Kolibri, but on the American machines there is usually an adjusting screw on the left margin set on the carriage. (But, on my old Underwood desktop it took the removal of a couple of thin washers on the right side of the margin rail under the index bar.) sometimes you have to remove the paper tray or even the tab rack to get to the adjustment screw.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

29-3-2016 15:52:09  #9

Ah thanks. Now I know what to keep an eye out for. Wonder where it is on a kolibri.

29-3-2016 19:35:39  #10

So I think all issues boil down to a single thing. Nothing is dirty. Nothing needs oiled. All springs are there, and parts move freely. It's clean and pristine. But apparently you can take off the bottom plate. And what I found is:

I know: basic typewriter stuff: I don't know what you call all of this but: There's a pulley with a wire that advances the carriage, and there's a toothed wheel that catches a toothed bar, which corresponds to individual spaces/places on the typewriter. When you type, hit the space bar, or backspace, it moves one of those spaces. The pull with wire pulls the carriage along, which has the fixed toothed bar, and it catches in the toothed wheel. All good.

What's happening: in some cases, the pulley/carriage does not move that one space/place. It works great on all typing. Where it fails is on backspacing (sometimes) and on the beginning space on a margin on the carriage return. You can see the the pulley just doesn't advance all the way sometimes. Whether that's the wire, pulley, toothed wheel, toothed bar, or something else, I don't know. But it's not a left margin setting or anything to do w. the backspace linkage.

I've looked at every tooth on the wheel and every tooth on the bar, and they're all fine. The wire isn't frayed - it looks fine. The pulley is tightly screwed down with a tiny screw. And nothing seems amiss. I don't know what this could be.

The toothed wheel is to the right and just above the pulley in this photo (covered by something w. 3 small screws).

Board footera