You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-6-2014 22:50:54  #11

Re: 1931 Woodstock No. 5

Probably not, but next time I know I'll be in the Woodstock area I'll have to do a little research first to see if where he lived is still standing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-6-2014 14:49:32  #12

Thanks for commenting on the idea of a favorite typer, Uwe.  I feel quite the same, but thought there might be something wrong with my liking to type on machines with a lesser reputation.  I am attracted to the comment--from the standard site--that the Woodstock types like the wind!  I have never seen one live, just pictures.  A Typewriter repairman once told me that Royals are "junk."   I have a 1941 Royal Quiet Delux that is just grand.

Also, recently saw an Oliver a an antique store with a price of $200.  In pictures they look like a lost cause, but this worked so solid and smooth I was amazed!  That was in Sebastopol, California if you want to take a trip down there;  I can't remember the name of the store.

28-8-2014 00:38:06  #13

Just found this forum, and the your post regarding your Woodstock no. 5.

And, now that I've finally got undisclosed approval to post (even though a password was assigned previously) I'll try my best as only an old man can to jump through the rest of the hoops to try and get my intended message posted, with photo's.

Now that I've wasted ban width posting messages #1 & 2 (and time) just to follow that most interest of web site rules............

On to my message, only to encounter a Verification image box now, holy shitzz batman can there really be this many rules and obstruction just to post a message about a typewriter.

The immigants are having an easier time crossing our border than this............. arghhhhhhhhhhh.

Anyway - - -  what I started out to say is this    -----------------

I just acquired the same machine from my brother-in-law who has had in a dark ominus spot in his garage collecting dirt and grim.

I'm going to try and put it on my winter to do list and clean it up and lube it and see if I can put it back into service to some extent. At the very least get it operable and reasonably nice condition for posterity (will attach photo's below).

As to "the original Aug. 1969 Woodstock" it's rumored that I was there - - -
but it's still all kind of a haze, a Purple Haze !
Peace & Love baby.....

28-8-2014 03:07:49  #14

Nice big machine!

Uwe, rebuilt machines were not rare. Particularly during the Depression, when a new one was a very expensive piece of equipment.

I have a nice Remington 12 which proudly proclaims to have been "Rebuilt in Remington factory", in big, bold gold letters all across the front panel. Its original serial number was removed and I haven't found a new serial anywhere, but it has some features that lead me to believe it was retrofitted with some newer features when it was rebuilt, namely, this machine has the carriage return/paper advance lever located on the left of the carriage, like in the Remington 16, instead of the right, as seen in most every photo of the Remington 12 I've come across. And it also has a paper table very similar to the one on the model 16. Now, since I haven't found any serial numbers yet, I can't date exactly when this machine was made or rebuilt, but I estimate, considering the differences in the carriage, that this machine could have been rebuilt, at least, during the 1930s, when the Remington 16 was the current model offered by Remington; but of course it could have been rebuilt at a later date.

I don't know what was the price diferential between a new and a refurbished typewriter, but I would not be surprised if a rebuilt machine was no more than a fraction of the price of a new model. And at that price, those would have been a real bargain: sure, they were older models, but they had been reconditioned at the factory, with all worn parts replaced, perhaps with some new parts retrofitted, most likely repainted, and perhaps even sold with a limited guarantee of sorts. They are clear signs of their times, and could be a symbol of the harsh economic realities of the era; but they're also a sign of the great value a typewriter had in the '30s, '40s, even '50s, when it was profitably for manufacturers to refurbish and resale their older models.

28-8-2014 10:16:09  #15

It would be great if you could post a photo of Remigton's version of the rebuilt decal. As I previously posted, Underwood sold a number of such machines - some were ten years old at the time - as newly rebuilt models. Underwood standard models are very, very common in my area, but the decals on them are notorious for having being worn off, in particular those around the keyboard guard. I've been keeping a look out for an Underwood 'rebuilt' models decal but haven't yet found one. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-8-2014 13:05:08  #16

There isnt much of a difference between your woodstock and mine. Mine's a 1936 No.5. The big difference is the tab tower on the back. A little differece is green shifts and shift locks.

06-9-2014 23:18:36  #17

Uwe wrote:

It would be great if you could post a photo of Remigton's version of the rebuilt decal...

Sorry for the delay. I checked the machine and it actually has TWO decals stating it was rebuilt in the Remington factory. The more conspicuous one is on the front panel, and is a rather large proposition; but there's also a really small decal on the back of the machine. I'm attaching photos of both.

31-12-2014 18:34:52  #18

Happy New Year to all!    Checking in on the Woodstock to see if anythings been done on it??  Would you consider selling it?  I couldn't do it right now as it's property tax time here, but in a month or so? Even if not, it's a cool transitional machine - take care of it. Thanks, Don L

29-8-2015 19:22:16  #19

Woodstock Typewriters were made in Woodstock Ill. at first. Woodstock Ill. also produced the Emerson and the Oliver Typewriters. They were owned by Sears Roebuck and Co. They were sold by their catalog. They would knock off $33.00 off the price ($100.00) if the buyer would demonstrate it to their friends and get written testimonials.Sometime during the 20's they moved their whole operation to Chicago. Sears payed for the shipping and this was their major shipping hub. They were highly successful and considered a high end machine. They may have invented the first 4 bank machine. Sears also owned the Harris Visable and later aquired a partial ownership of Smith Carona. The Emerson was owned by Roebuck himself. Failed terribly. It was a side striker instead of a basket. It had the bad habit of loosing it's typeface off the typebar while typing. Only about 20,000 were ever made. So if you ever find an Emerson, you've got a real collectors item.

14-9-2015 16:58:30  #20

For information on rebuilt typewriters, you might find this to be a good guide on the when, why and how:  REBUILT TYPEWRITERS.  

Woodstock came out of the failed Emerson Typewriter Company, and was owned partly by Sears, Roebuck & Co. until 1947 when it sold its interest to Century America Corporation.  That was short lived as at the very end of 1949 R. C. Allen Business Machines bought Woodstock Typewriter Company and in the first month of January, 1950 the R.C. Allen typewriter (the same as the previous Woodstock) came out.  Sears, Roebuck had control of the factory of the company that made the ultra-rare Burnett around 1909, but other than these two companies had no ownership or control of any other typewriter company including Smith-Corona.  Sears did however contract for the full production of the Harris Visible after the failures of the Burnett and the Emerson.

The companies that Sears became heavily involved with in these early years (Burnett, Emerson, Harris machines) were attempting to produce standard typewriters at below standard prices.  In other words, not machines like the Blickensderfer which were small and portable (or like the Standard Folding / Corona) but rather had some size and heft and could turn out real work day after day.  The Emerson fails seriously in this bracket; the Harris Visible succeeds, and the Woodstock Standard ... well, it's among the best standard machines ever made, anywhere.  The proof can be found either in the test of one in good shape, or in the study of the history that shows how many typewriter makers' sales were dropping worldwide at the same time that the Woodstock came on to the market, and made an international name for itself.

Board footera