You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-6-2016 02:56:54  #1

Lettera 32 Carriage issues - growling and occassionally stuck

Hello there,

I have an 1969 Olivetti Lettera 32 made in Yugoslavia, with which I'm having some issues:
The carriage moves fairly well and I am able to type on it reasonably well.
However, near the left end of the carriage it sometimes gets stuck and moves less smoothly than it does on the other end.
Also, the carriage makes some heavy 'growling' noises when I move it around. I've seen on videos that usually the carriage moves silently, and I have a Lettera 22 which doesn't make any sound at all when I move the carriage around. This made me think there might be something wrong with it.

I've read in Richard Polt's amazing book on typewriters that the Letteras produced in Yugoslavia are of inferior quality to those produced in Spain and Italy, but can anyone tell me whether the noisy carriage is a normal 'feature' of the Yugoslavian made Letteras or could it be indicative of some fault in the machine itself? If so, what would be the right way in trying to solve it?

What I've tried so far:
Cleaning the machine some more (it was already very clean when I first bought it)
Using sewing machine oil (sparingly) on the rail on which the carriage moves

Both didn't really do the trick...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

13-6-2016 13:15:37  #2

Re: Lettera 32 Carriage issues - growling and occassionally stuck

Growling can be caused, of course, by something rubbing. Usually something on the carriage against the tab rack or the escapement rack rubbing against some fixed part under the carriage. But it can also be caused by the escapement rack bottoming in the pinion gear. There is usually an adjustment to lift the escapement rack up just a little (usually an eccentric nut with a lock nut on it) so it doesn't bottom out in the pinion gear.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

16-6-2016 08:26:46  #3

Dear Treefaller,

Thank you kindly for your advice.
I finally had the time to take a look at the machine today and give what you said a try. I think I found the pinion gear nut and was able to modify it slightly. However, I loosened it a bit too much, and caused the carriage to move around freely (meaning the gear didn't 'catch' the carriage anymore). This did cause the growling to stop, so I'm now fairly certain this gear caused the growling in the first place... 

But!... As I was tinkering along, the drawband for the carriage snapped!
Which means I have a more serious problem to tackle now...

I think what I'll do is find help from a professional as I don't quite feel up to the task of reattaching a drawband.

16-6-2016 15:20:00  #4

Ah yes, the tragedy of the inintended consequences. I have fixed a couple of my machines with broken drawbands, or drawstrings (both) by using monofilament fishing line. The only trouble I've encountered using fishing line is in making the knot too bulky so it catches on things underneath the carriage as it moves. I solved that problem by revisiting the memories of my boy scout days when I was taught to make a "bow line" knot, which solved the problem as that knot is less bulky. Short comment: fixing a broken drawstring/drawband is not that difficult. And it is probably something you should get familiar with as an old typewriter owner.  There are those who say you can use an old bootlace as a replacement drawband, and I have a few old bootlaces. But, as of yet, I have not found it necessary as the monofilament fishing line seems to work quite nicely, even on those drawband machines.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

17-6-2016 04:24:48  #5

Dear Treefaller,

Thanks again for your advice and words of encouragement.
I will give fixing the drawstring (I only now realize the correct term is drawstring not band) using fishing line. Once I've done that, I'll give fixing the growling another try. 

17-6-2016 07:19:54  #6

I.den wrote:

I will give fixing the drawstring (I only now realize the correct term is drawstring not band) using fishing line.

Drawband is actually the correct term.... a drawstring is something entirely different and unrelated to a typewriter. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-6-2016 15:40:03  #7

Drawband = flat fabric strap, usually found on heavy-duty portables and standard office-sized machines.
Drawcord = round cord, usually found on small portable typewriters.

Both do the same thing, i.e. transmit the pulling force from the mainspring/spring drum to the carriage.  Hope this helps

24-6-2016 10:08:10  #8

Hi there,

Today I was able to get some fishing line (it should be able to hold 25 kgs, so I think that's enough). I was able to attach this to a wound-up mainspring and the machine is now fully working again. To be honest, my wife did help me a little bit in holding the fishing line in place, so I could wind up the mainspring with both hands and attach the line more easily.

So that's the good news.

The bad news is that I haven't been able to pinpoint where the growling originates from. It's very difficult to get a good look at the pinion gear and all the surrounding parts, without actually taking the carriage off.
But that's something I do find a bit too risky (even with the newly gained confidence from attaching a new drawcord). Do you think a good clean would do the trick? I tried cleaning the gear with white gas, but that didn't help.

31-7-2016 10:27:39  #9

Hi everyone,

Today I took some time to give this Lettera 32 another try. And succeeded!
Just wanted to report on this and let you guys know how I did it. Just in case someone else has a problem with a lettera, they'll know what to try first.

What I actually did was take apart almost everything because I wanted to take a look under the carriage. And indeed that did help me pinpoint the problem but wasn't really necessary in my case.

Re-assembling the carriage was a pain, but I got it done.
I wouldn't have been able to do it without the incredibly helpful blogbpost by typebarhead in which he does the exact same thing: http://typebarhead.blogspot.nl/2012/05/adventures-in-typewriter-repairs-2.html.
Getting the balls in place was very tricky, and I had to re-do it mulitple because I didn't put the carriage lock mechanism in place properly, and due to some other mistakes I made along the way. 
After that was back in place, I had to sort out all the tab, carriage lockthing, linelock mechanics etc.. I'm glad I had an extra Olivetti here to make sense of everything because a few springs got loose also, and stupid as I am, I didn't take any pictures that were clear enough to show all the individual parts...
Oh and also the drawband shot loose a few times. But thankfully, I already knew how to do that, and am now actually dexterous enough to do it without any assistance from an extra set of hands.

As for the growling and carriage blockage issues, they are now all gone!

When I took of the carriage I cleaned the escape mechanism and everything around it. I didn't see anything blocking the wheel and the pivot was in the correct position, if I lowered it any further, it wouldn't catch the rail and any tighter it would be completely stiff.
But when I put the carriage on to try everything after cleaning, I noticed exactly where the problem was caused.

I'm not sure whether non-moving pictures really can show what's going on, but this is the left side (the 'growling' side)

As you can sort of see, the teeth of the wheel don't quite 'catch' the rail.

This here is the right side (where I didn't have any problems moving the carriage around and the 'growling' was significantly less than on the right side).

This is how it is supposed to be.

So what I did, just out of plain curiosity and ignorance, is, I screwed off the carriage rail on the side it was causing trouble. 

Having unscrewed it, I played around with the rail on the wheel a bit, and found that this was exactly what I was looking for.
Not really knowing what to do next, I just re-attached it.
Thinking to myself how on earth one should fix that rail, I noticed that when I had it screwed on again, the growling disappeared and so had any issues!
The wheel now 'took' on every part of the rail!

So eventually, all the taking apart of the carriage and everything that comes with it, wasn't even necessary! (although it did give me some experience that might come in handy in the future)

25-8-2016 03:23:23  #10

Fortunate that I found this thread - and very grateful for the information in it.  Thanks to the hint about escapement rack adjustment, I found the adjustment screws on my beautiful Olympia SM2, and began to adjust in order to remove the distinct and unhealthy whirring sound when the carriage is returned.
Worth noting, and the reason for this post, is that I had assumed that the rack would need to be lifted a little to stop the noise - but that was not the case; lowering it a fraction on one side was the cure, presumably because the meshing of escapement teeth and rack was now closer and more efficient - the way they were designed to mesh.
Grateful too for the tip elsewhere about using a 6 inch (150mm) steel ruler as an all-round screwdriver, since I had nothing else that could reach the adjusting screws.
Thanks to all who share their knowledge here!

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera