You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-6-2016 21:12:16  #1

Removing old screws

On a newer typewriter, like something made in the dying years of typewriter production, when I remove screws for disassembly I don't worry about much more than making sure I use the right size screwdriver. But on older machines I worry about stripping the head of the scene because it has siezed in the hole.

So far I have been reluctant to do too much with older machines because it would be a shame to ruin an old machine. I have a Royal KMM that will never have its platen removed because of a stripped grub screw.

I have heard of people using wd40 to help loosen screws, but I am reluctant to try this before asking if there is a better way.

What do others use to help loosen old screws?

Last edited by Uwe (17-6-2016 06:50:07)

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

17-6-2016 06:55:58  #2

Re: Removing old screws

Penetrating oil, vibration, and in extreme cases, heat. If a screw has to come out, it has to come out, and I always approach stubborn screws by starting off gently and then slowly escalating to more severe techniques if required. However, the first approach should always be to use the proper tool - it has to fit perfectly - and ones with long shafts to give you more torque. If that doesn't work, then move on to a good penetrating oil. Worst case scenarios involve drilling the screw out, but I'd advise practicing that technique on something less important if you've never done it before.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-6-2016 15:48:49  #3

Inserting a well-fitting screwdriver into the slot and then giving the end of the handle a short sharp rap with a hammer can sometimes shock a stubborn screw free.  Do not wait until the slot is badly mangled from several attempts to twist the screw free.  If the screw is resisting you when using a long-handled engineers' screwdriver, immediately try the short sharp blow to the handle.  It is speed rather than how hard you hit.  Almost like a karate chop.

17-6-2016 20:29:16  #4

I'll second thetypewriterman's tip. Using vibration is the handyman's secret weapon (I've heard that line before somewhere?) On a stubborn screw I'll soak in gun oil or penetrating oil overnight (penetrating oil stinks like kerosene and I'll only use it in my garage) and then I'll start by gently rapping with something small and metal, like a crescent wrench or a bigger closed end wrench. Then I'll put the engineering screwdriver (I only own one of them but I'm keeping my eyes open at yard and garage sales for more of them) on it and arrange my body into a contorted form so I can put heavy turning pressure on the screwdriver at the same time as I continue tapping. That works for me a surprising number of times. I have also found that it just wasn't going to turn sometimes, so I oiled it again, and repeated the same process the following day. It worked the second time for me on that particular screw.
   But allen wrench set screws are the pits! I can't help you there.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

18-6-2016 00:47:47  #5

What is an engineers'/engineering screwdriver?

18-6-2016 02:58:58  #6

I was just going to ask that question too.

18-6-2016 14:49:59  #7

An engineers screwdriver is normally one with a long, parallel blade (maybe 10 or 12 inches long).  The extra length enables you to apply a lot more leverage than with a standard screwdriver.  Just to confuse matters further, there is a woodworkers screwdriver too.  The woodworkers screwdriver usually has a flared tip to the shaft and a bulb-type handle, usually but not always made from wood.  The woodworkers tool is designed to nestle in the palm of the hand to drive woodscrews.  Different variants of screwdriver for different trades !

18-6-2016 23:25:11  #8

I also believe that the engineer's screwdriver is "hollow ground" at the tip. That is, the sides of the tip are slightly concave so that the very end of the blade has parallel sides. They also usually seem to be made of a much better quality metal, harder that is, at least the few I have seen. The tip of the blade stays in a screw's slot much better than the cheaper screwdriver tips, which are wedge shaped. I'm no expert, and I'm certainly not an engineer, but that is what I look for when I examine the tips of screwdrivers. They also usually have square shanks, which is very helpful. But lots of other screwdrivers have square shanks so that's not a foolproof identifier.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

19-6-2016 04:17:18  #9

I'm starting to think my history of destroying screws may be down to using cheap screwdrivers.

Board footera