You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-3-2013 15:53:25  #1

Which oil

I've been advised to oil typewriters with sewing machine oil. It's cheap enough, but is there anything better?

17-3-2013 15:48:36  #2

Re: Which oil

I use sewing-machine oil. But then, I fix sewing machines as well, as a hobby, so I have lots of it.

People have told me, typewriters don't like a lot of oil. So only use the very smallest amounts that you possibly can. 

I can't think of a better alternative to sewing-machine oil. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

17-3-2013 16:56:41  #3

I copied this from a late '50s issue of Popular Science that I have with an article in it concerning typewriter cleaning:

"You can use any good household or sewingmachine oil; I have used No. 10 auto engine oil for years.

"Caution: Do not oil the slots in the quadrant where the type bars are hinged. If the machine is clean and mechanically sound, they will move freely. Oil holds eraser grit and dirt in the slots, causing wear.

"Be very sparing with oil, applying it only to moving parts. Follow the ribbon mechanism through to oil all bearings and rollers. Remember that lightly oiled is rightly oiled."

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-3-2013 18:01:16  #4

I have found the best way to 'oil' a typewriter is with denatured alcohol. Which means that in my experience sticky parts just need to be cleaned. If a part remains stuck or sticky, I'll use a little sewing machine oil -- which has worked especially well with stubborn carriage returns. 

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

17-3-2013 23:45:00  #5

Denatured Alco/methylated Spirits is excellent for flushing out dust, gunk and crud. I highly recommend its use. 

But once the machine has been cleaned, a dash of sewing-oil will keep it squeak-free and lubricated. But don't use too much. 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

22-3-2013 19:43:17  #6

Yukonsam posted this from an Olympia SG3 manual in another thread on Typewriter Talk. I thought it was relevant for this particular thread too:

"All moving and sliding parts need oiling at infrequent intervals only. Before oiling,
thoroughly clean machine, carefully wiping off any oil residue. Use only thin acid-free
typewriter oil.
Segment, typebars, type guide and line space wheel should not be oiled
at all. Apply oil in drops from the point of a needle. Too much oil is harmful."

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2013 20:05:01  #7

Hi Uwe: That's good information. Interesting, when I oil any part on a typewriter I always position a toothpick to the exact point I want to oil, and then let the oil drop slide along the toothpick (drop by drop, as necessary) to the point of contact on the machine. That way, I have control on how much oil gets applied and where it goes.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

23-3-2013 04:37:26  #8

I've always used an eyedropper whenever I need to oil something. But what it is you're oiling determines how much oil to use. 

My Singer sewing machine, I practically drowned in oil. But that's because you're supposed to. And because the machine was SO dried up, it literally wouldn't move AT ALL. 

My Underwood typewriter, I flushed out with repeated applications of methylated spirits, with excellent results. But after the meths-treatment, the T-key developed a really annoying squeak. 

I put like, half a drop of sewing-oil there, wiggled the key up and down a few times...and the squeak has never come back. 

13-3-2016 21:57:13  #9

One word:  TRANNY FLUID.  Best stuff on the market today.  It does wonders in lubricating and unsticking typewriters, especially if it's a little warm.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-3-2016 10:47:46  #10

Like Valiant says, gun oil or sewing machine oil (silicone based)is the best way to go. Apply with a toothpick, or a wooden fondue skewer, which is a bit longer and lets you get deeper inside the workings of the machine. Apply drops of oil to each moving joint or sliding part where metal meets metal. Although it's not a cleaner, like some of the other fluids, it will work the rust and gunk out eventually, with exercise. And it doesn't smell up your house like the petroleum based cleaners.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

Board footera