You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-11-2016 13:20:23  #31

Re: NaNoWriMo 2016

So, to confirm I understand correctly: you guys are typing all your work, right?

07-11-2016 13:47:34  #32

yes.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

07-11-2016 14:14:49  #33

A stuid question: Do you experience a big difference in speed between the computer vs. typewriter?
I get slowed down becuase of spelling mostly .
Can't just go back and spell check all the mistakes on my Remington!

07-11-2016 16:57:56  #34

I don't personally find it slower. It's a first draft, so spelling doesn't really come into it, and I don't concern myself with typos either. The objective is to get the rough ideas down, and with a typewriter I can do that just as fast as with a computer, potentially faster because I'm not tempted to check email, or visit the forum. Other than that, it's not about speed; even if you're a lot slower with a typewriter, what's wrong with that? It's an opportunity to put a little more thought into your writing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-11-2016 17:00:36  #35

colrehogan wrote:

I just updated mycount this morning. I made it past my entire total for last year! Am currently at 5872 words.

Great job!!! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-11-2016 17:14:52  #36

Oh, I am not inferring good or bad about speed....Just pure curiosity. Not all typist work slowly.
I have a 92 year old acquantance who was an office typist and boy, she could type like lightning, 100+ words per minute....

07-11-2016 17:36:53  #37

Rushwarp wrote:

Not all typist work slowly. I have a 92 year old acquantance who was an office typist and boy, she could type like lightning, 100+ words per minute....

There's a world of difference between what a typist does (the transcription of existing documents), and creative composition. Typists are expected to work - and therefore type - very quickly. Keyboard speed is far less important when you're writing something original - there are many authors who can't even touch type - and I doubt very few who can compose prose at a steady rate of 100 wpm. 

14-11-2016 11:13:53  #38

11282 words as of today! 

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

14-11-2016 11:27:48  #39

You go girl!  

Today is the half way mark - how did that come up so fast? I've got the running totals for everyone in the first post of this thread and it looks like we're the only two this year, which is very sad. However, it's not to late to start and I hope a few more give it a go; it's not about the numbers, it's all about writing, something, anything at all.

14-11-2016 20:59:29  #40

Uwe wrote:

Today is the half way mark - how did that come up so fast? I've got the running totals for everyone in the first post of this thread and it looks like we're the only two this year, which is very sad. However, it's not to late to start and I hope a few more give it a go; it's not about the numbers, it's all about writing, something, anything at all.

I started three times on three different cranky typewriters - though there is a perfectly good SG-1 sitting on my table - and of course started over. The last time was on the infamous Anti-Writer, though barely unpacked, and though we're only up to 3000 words we will give it a run! Run, Remington, run!

You have inspired me before and you can inspire me again.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera