You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-9-2013 07:09:07  #1

Carriage Not Advancing - Why?

Hey folks. 

When out on the town today, I saw a fairly nice Underwood Model 5 standard typewriter. Earlier model. 

I seriously considered buying it. But I held back and desisted, for the following reasons: 

1. The carriage wouldn't move when the spacebar, or any of the keys were pressed. 
2. The spool-cups wouldn't turn when the spacebar, or any of the keys were pressed. 

The backspace, shiftlock, bell, carriage-release, mainspring, carriage drawband and everything else seemed to work fine. But the carriage-advance did not. 

Why? 

Why would this be the case, if everything else works? The mechanism is not, so far as I can tell, damaged. Would simple cleaning, flushing and oiling get the mechanism working? 

I didn't want to risk my money on purchasing an uncertainty, despite the generally good condition of the typewriter. 

In a situation like that, what would you do? And what can be done to fix such an issue?

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

13-3-2016 22:22:35  #2

Re: Carriage Not Advancing - Why?

Something tells me that the ribbon advancing pawls are somehow stuck.  They'll do that to an Underwood, and completely freeze one dead in its tracks.  I encountered this several times.  Pull both pawls on the righthand side away from that ratchet wheel and see if the space bar and/or keys advance the carriage.  If they do, your problem is in those pawls.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera