You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-11-2016 20:27:59  #1

Carbon Tape Not Rising- Royal SP-8500

Hi. I have a late 60s Royal SP-8500 typewriter that has a rather serious issue. Out of nowhere, the carbon tape is no longer rising up when a key is pressed and when a typeface is manually risen to the paper. It is NOT jammed. Can anyone please help? Thank you.

tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-TAP-tap-ding!

06-11-2016 20:32:07  #2

Re: Carbon Tape Not Rising- Royal SP-8500

UPDATE: Problem caused by the color selector thing switching to white. Now what could be causing THAT?

06-11-2016 20:35:43  #3

You could have a loose setscrew somewhere along the linkages of the color selector.  It could be out of adjustment enough to where it could be black, then stencil.  Or the detent may not be strong enough to keep it in position.  Does the color selector move easily?  If so, then the spring tension on the detent needs adjusting.  Otherwise, see if there are any loose setscrews, and if everything is tight, see where an adjustment can be made so that the blacksetting is squarely on the black mark, red squarely on red, et cetera.  Let me know how you come out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

06-11-2016 20:37:11  #4

How do you adjust the spring tension? It's loose. VERY loose. 10x looser than the power switch, which is moderately tight.

06-11-2016 20:41:15  #5

Take a look to see if there is a leaf spring or a coil spring.  In either case, the spring will have to be removed to re-tension it.  Not being able to see inside of the machine I am not really sure.  It's been a long time since I have seen the innards of this particular machine, but I have a feeling that it shouldn't be all that hard to re-tension that spring once you get it out.  Again, take a look at what's in there and let me know.

06-11-2016 20:47:33  #6

I am unable to see or feel a spring.

06-11-2016 20:48:04  #7

Never mind then...

06-11-2016 20:51:12  #8

There's got to be something down there.  Is there a way you could send me a picture of what it looks like?  I wish I had one of those kinds of Royal electrics--had a chance at buying a Royal Apollo edition but I muffed it.  Shoulda got that sucker.  I was only 1 year old when they landed on the moon.

06-11-2016 20:52:10  #9

I saw the spring... now how on Earth do I remove it...

06-11-2016 21:00:59  #10

I would have to see the mechanism to be able to tell you for sure, since I haven't delved in one of those yet, but I have the idea that there may be a couple of bolts or a nut holding that spring down.  If you could just loosen it a bit, you may be able to bend it (retension it) without having to take it out of there completely.  Then you could tighten it back down, and everything should stay in place.  Let me know how you come out.

Board footera