You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-11-2016 01:59:58  #11

Re: Typewriter injuries

TypewriterKing wrote:

sliced right index finger trying to keep spring drum from spinning as I was putting on the drawband, but spring drum ran away and spun over my finger as it was between it and the rear carriage rail

I did this to my thumb. Lord, it sucks. I know is is going to happen again, and I am not looking forward to it.

20-11-2016 20:10:57  #12

A couple of years ago I literally pulled a muscle in my back picking up an IBM model B electric and carrying it into the other room. Took three weeks to get over that one.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

20-11-2016 22:21:00  #13

I got a story about a hipster who carried one of these into a Starbucks and tried to use it.  Took up the whole table, so he had to put his $10.00 cup of coffee on the floor.  He probably paid more for the coffee than he did his typewriter.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

20-11-2016 23:42:33  #14

TypewriterKing wrote:

I got a story about a hipster who carried one of these into a Starbucks and tried to use it. Took up the whole table, so he had to put his $10.00 cup of coffee on the floor. He probably paid more for the coffee than he did his typewriter.

Let me get this straight - the story is somebody carried an IBM model B into a coffee shop? Just popped around the corner, did he, casually wheeling his IBM B on a luggage cart? Had it collapsed the table and injured himself and other customers all would be suing Starbucks for not clearly marking the tables with load limits. And had staff asked him to take it off the table he would have been vocally defending his right to freedom of expression to an appreciative audience. 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

10-12-2016 08:28:05  #15

A friend writes...

"I've cleverly given myself tendinitis. The culprit was a Remington 1040 portable and I was so enjoying its bouncy feel that I ignored the discomfort in my thumb but when I stopped the discomfort turned to pain which went back up my forearm! It's better this morning but I will be going lightly on typing for a few days."

10-12-2016 17:14:43  #16

Repartee wrote:

TypewriterKing wrote:

I got a story about a hipster who carried one of these into a Starbucks and tried to use it. Took up the whole table, so he had to put his $10.00 cup of coffee on the floor. He probably paid more for the coffee than he did his typewriter.

Let me get this straight - the story is somebody carried an IBM model B into a coffee shop? Just popped around the corner, did he, casually wheeling his IBM B on a luggage cart? Had it collapsed the table and injured himself and other customers all would be suing Starbucks for not clearly marking the tables with load limits. And had staff asked him to take it off the table he would have been vocally defending his right to freedom of expression to an appreciative audience. 

I only know I saw this all on YouTube.  This guy did not use a shopping cart--just manhandled a 45-pound monster through the door and plopped it on the only table in the place that was both unoccupied and had an outlet nearby.  I am not supposing anyone was thinking about all the legal rammifications such an action would precipitate.  Yes, the whole world is run by lawyers, which to me is about the saddest state humanity has ever been in.  We do need attorneys for various legal services and representation, but when they are the only ones calling the shots, that's bad.

10-12-2016 17:39:11  #17

Repartee wrote:

A friend writes...

"I've cleverly given myself tendinitis. The culprit was a Remington 1040 portable and I was so enjoying its bouncy feel that I ignored the discomfort in my thumb but when I stopped the discomfort turned to pain which went back up my forearm! It's better this morning but I will be going lightly on typing for a few days."

Maybe he needs a softer spring in the space bar.

10-12-2016 20:02:29  #18

TypewriterKing wrote:

Now that's an interesting thought. I had assumed it was a cramped hand position. My, ah, friend reports that typing on an SG-1 seems positively therapeutic. It's a pretty little machine but it may have to go.

10-12-2016 20:27:22  #19

Now you have me curious. I searched YouTube for "Starbucks Typewriter" but only found a man using an electronic typewriter and a woman using a Remington #1 portable. 

10-12-2016 20:38:36  #20

TypewriterKing wrote:

Good Gawd, sir, you may be right! It does have an unsually strong spring force in the space bar! Interesting that such a thing would not have broken consciousness though it may have precipitated repetitive motion injury.

Board footera