You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-1-2017 17:24:39  #1

How Much Extra Would You Pay For a Serviced Machine?

Good evening, all.

I'm looking for an opinion on something. How much extra would you pay for a professionally serviced machine?

I'm a collector of other non-typewriter items including vintage audio players (such as record turntables) and typically paying an extra $100 over the standard cost of a machine it's reasonable for one that has been taken apart, re-greased, calibrated, etc.

Is it the same in the typewriting field?

Note, I'm not really a typewriter collector... more of someone who just wants a brilliant machine in excellent working condition.

So, how much would you pay extra for a machine that has been cleaned out, oiled, thoroughly tested, etc.?

Thanks!

-Michael Archambault
Current Machine: Smith Corona Sterling 1959

27-1-2017 17:35:27  #2

Re: How Much Extra Would You Pay For a Serviced Machine?

Like anything, I think it depends on the machine. I am willing to pay quite a bit more for a machine that I have been looking for for ages, if it is in great condition, with case also in good condition etc. ready to type.
Could be $100 in regular used, condition and $450 in top notch condition??
Depends on how much you want/love it I guess...

27-1-2017 18:07:04  #3

Having reconditioned typewriters for better than three decades, typically, I would charge a bit more for the machines I've serviced--expecting that these machines will be used in regular service.  Typically, I've repaired typewriters destined for, say, typing church bulletins and letters, because at one time, those were my typical customers.  Other times I've fixed typewriters for others who sold them (sometimes I would repair a typewriter to get another one I wanted--did that for years with several people).  But, yes, a freshly-serviced machine does and should go for a little more because there is more a guarantee on it that it will do the job for which it was intended.  And when I repaired a machine, I always gave it a 30-day guarantee--which in that time, something should go wrong with it, I fixed it free.  I'm not too sure about pricing--did that on a case-by-case basis--depending on the particular needs of the particular typewriter I serviced.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

27-1-2017 20:35:22  #4

Marcham93 wrote:

How much extra would you pay for a professionally serviced machine? ...So, how much would you pay extra for a machine that has been cleaned out, oiled, thoroughly tested, etc.?

First of all, welcome to the forum. 

There are a number of important variables that you would need to verify first before even entering a discussion about cost. First, was the typewriter actually professionally serviced? Nine times out of ten such claims are made by those who just blew dirt out of the machine and don't otherwise know anything about typewriters. Anyone who is selling a typewriter at a premium should be asked about who exactly serviced it, and what that person's training/experience with typewriters is.

The second question is to get a list that details exactly what services were performed. Just claiming that a machine was serviced is too ambiguous; there's a big difference between someone just giving a machine a cursory cleaning and one that has been properly restored and has had parts such as the platen resurfaced. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-1-2017 23:08:29  #5

Uwe wrote:

Marcham93 wrote:

How much extra would you pay for a professionally serviced machine? ...So, how much would you pay extra for a machine that has been cleaned out, oiled, thoroughly tested, etc.?

First of all, welcome to the forum. 

There are a number of important variables that you would need to verify first before even entering a discussion about cost. First, was the typewriter actually professionally serviced? Nine times out of ten such claims are made by those who just blew dirt out of the machine and don't otherwise know anything about typewriters. Anyone who is selling a typewriter at a premium should be asked about who exactly serviced it, and what that person's training/experience with typewriters is.

The second question is to get a list that details exactly what services were performed. Just claiming that a machine was serviced is too ambiguous; there's a big difference between someone just giving a machine a cursory cleaning and one that has been properly restored and has had parts such as the platen resurfaced. 

Sounds to me as though you've run into a lot of jack leg mechanics whose confidences in their "craft" are directly proportional to the degrees of their drunkenness and stupor.  These clueless oafs are usually managed by oily used-anything charlatans who call themselves salesmen, whose morals and values are that of an alley cat, and who would even sell their own grandmothers if it would turn a profit. 

01-2-2017 00:32:56  #6

As others have said, it depends.  My first typewriter falls into this category, I think.  I bought it online. later heard that this person charged high prices.  However, the machine arrived to me safely and I have not had to have it serviced for anything since then.  I bought the machine in question because it reminded me of the one that my mom had used to type my term papers when I was in school.  She no longer had that one or else I would have had it serviced.    

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

01-2-2017 20:50:16  #7

Let me ask a closely related question: one of my favorite machines to write with (when I am all kinestheticed out and don't care much about action 'n stuff, and just want the pleasure of putting freshly inked words on paper) is my IBM B standard.  So much so that I would consider having the machine "professionally serviced" - mainly the rubber, I think, and of course complete cleaning and lubrication and adjustment and all that good stuff.  Assuming I could find a qualified person who would handle all that and just return to me the now purring machine, how much should I expect to pay?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

01-2-2017 21:21:50  #8

It would depend on how much work you would want done, and/or how much needed to be done--meaning what needs to be done right away.  Offhand, knowing IBMs, the first thing would be to brush the rubber dust out of the power cams from down below (check them out and see if they don't have black all over them).  The power roll, if you can get it recovered from J. J. Short, would be good too, and add to the life of the typewriter.  Also, the impression control on the right side of the keyboard should be set between 1 and 3, and the multiple copy control should be set to the letter A.  Get the typewriter to type a decently dark page within these parameters and you'll have a very nicely performing typewriter.  This, and a light oiling of the carriage rails, and a VERY judicious wiping of an oiled cloth over the segment slots (wipe off the excess--you DON'T want ANY oil getting onto the power roller.  If some does, wipe it off very carefully and make sure none remains on it.  This is ONE part you want dry.)  Anyway, these are things I intend to do with my '56 model real soon.  It uses both carbon and fabric ribbons--though you have to unload one to use the other.  I'd like to get it to typing again too!! 

Board footera