You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-1-2017 01:29:58  #1

Olympia SF

Anyone have an Olympia SF and can comment? Vintage late 50s early 60s.

30-1-2017 09:11:39  #2

Re: Olympia SF

Can comment on...what exactly?

30-1-2017 09:18:46  #3

I've had several. It's a really nice Olympia-feeling machine with a strangely but kind of pleasantly short throw. The one I've had mostly have been on their last legs and a couple have died - admittedly ones I got really cheaply, one of which was broken when I got it and I thought I cond fix it  but it proved more difficult. I think any of the flat ultra-portables are more likely to be in slightly over-used condition, for the simple reason that they were used more heavily - being carried around everywhere... They were more likely to be in constant use, ie by journalists or students. Having said which, I currently have two that work nicely - one of which has been used to heavily that when I went to pick it up the return lever fell off in my hand! (It was only a fiver, anyway).

30-1-2017 09:19:22  #4

Oh and btw, I'm lumping together the SF and the Splendids, to all intents and purposes the same machine.

30-1-2017 10:22:23  #5

Got one.  Good typer and light in weight for travel etc.  Not in the SM class in regard to touch and typing pleasure, but a perfectly usable machine none the less.

Sincerely,
beak.

30-1-2017 15:57:34  #6

I concur with Kat and Beak (hmmm.... that would make a good name for a pub). The SF is a very good ultra-portable, but shouldn't be compared with full-size portables, and never with a standard. It's great for what it is, and its robust construction is reflected by its type action that tends to be slightly heavier (not necessarily a bad thing) than other ultra-portables. I consider it a must-have model for anyone with a modest-sized collection.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-1-2017 21:56:31  #7

Out of all of the ultra-portables that I've used, a Royal 200 (Nakajima), Olivetti Lettera 22, Smith-Corona Zephyr Deluxe, Remington Travel-Riter, and the Olympia SF (admittedly the Travel-Riter is a bit of a streeeeetch​) The Olympia is hands-down my favorite. The build quality is excellent as always, the design is contemporary to the period, and the touch is very good for what it is, though it is somewhat of an acquired taste. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a well-balanced ultra-portable.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

02-2-2017 22:20:30  #8

Thank you all for your opinions. I like Olympia's as a brand (have a few portables) and have been looking for an ultra portable, and have always wondered about these.

Board footera