You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-3-2017 08:24:22  #1

Royal 10 carriage binding

Now that I have a little time off work I decided to get to this Royal 10 with a wide carriage. The problem is that it binds at the far left hand side of the page. It has been thoroughly cleaned so I'm sure the problem is not a dirty rail.

I have tried adjusting these clamps that hold the carriage to the rail and this helped a little.

With the draw string detached it feels like the carriage moves freely with just slightly resistance at both ends of carriage travel.

Is there anything else I could try adjusting? Is it possible that the rail could be imperceptibly bent? And if the solution is to just put more tension on the main spring is it possible to over tension the spring and do some damage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

30-3-2017 20:19:24  #2

Re: Royal 10 carriage binding

Make sure the paper scale at the print point is not rubbing on the platen.
I had a very similar problem and that was the cause.

My blog - Just Typewriters

31-3-2017 07:32:50  #3

How did you adjust the paper scale? Does it have a screw that can be loosened and adjusted, or does it just need to be bent to the correct shape?

31-3-2017 17:48:53  #4

Curious. I don't have a Royal 10, but I do have the KHM and the KMM models and both of those have a worm that turns and holds the worm gear on the spring drum shaft. And I can't find it on the pictures you posted. I can see the worm gear on the shaft, that's the black sleeve with the slanted teeth and the set screw on the end of the shaft that leads out of the center of the spring drum. But there is no worm to mesh with it that I can see.
   I'm probably just not familiar with the way the Royal 10 model is built since I don't have one. So if it's hiding down there somewhere where I can't see it then feel free to disregard this post.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

31-3-2017 18:15:37  #5

I think the main spring on the Royal 10 and the KMM are the same. The 10 does have a screw and a worm gear to tighten the main spring.  It's just hard to see in this picture.

31-3-2017 20:30:08  #6

The spring shouldn't be tightened to compensate for a sticking carriage.  Generally a 1 1/2 lb. pull is all that is needed to move the carriage.  Any tighter, or more force, then you run into pounding or hash escapement plus more effort on the return.  It seems to me you still have one or some of the clamps towards the carriage ends too tight to the lower rail.  The lower rail has a .002" bow according to the repair manual.  What I did with mine is adjust them for free carriage movement throughout full travel, but still have minimum slop when either end is in the middle.  This might make it appear slightly sloppy on an end with the carriage centered, but the focus is free movement with no binding through full travel L to R or vice versa.

Board footera