You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-1-2018 16:53:35  #1


Carriage skipping

I'm working on two typewriters I got today. A Smith Corona Zephyr Deluxe and a Remington Envoy. Both have skipping carriages. Well, more like jumping carriages really. It can take as little as one keystroke to jump to the end of the carriage. I haven't gotten the bottom plates/bases off yet, but from the teeth I can see they look fine. The draw band is also intact on both. What else should I be looking at?

 

16-1-2018 17:26:19  #2


Re: Carriage skipping

Check the rocker plate and the spring that returns it to a locking position.  You might have a gummy mechanism, or a missing spring.


Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)
 

17-1-2018 23:34:00  #3


Re: Carriage skipping

A good oiling with gun oil (or sewing machine oil, but not 3-n-1 oil)is in order. Then a lot of exercise which will help the oil find all of the crannies of he escapement.


Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...
 

Board footera