You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-9-2020 06:32:16  #1

Imperial 90 stripping down.

Hi all. 
I have acquired another Imperial 90 typewriter and it needs a lot of work doing to it because it was not so looked after as my original Imperial 90.
It has surface rust on the arm and carriage area.
I have never stripped a typewriter down before and I don't think there is any manual for this typewriter available online. Would anyone know where to start?
I've bought alcohol rubbing, cloths and toothbrushes and I've been looking at the videos online, but I really want to know how to take the arm off so that it can be sanded down with a Dremel as it's so rusted.
Any ideas would be gratefully received. 

I wish I could find out when my two typewriters were made but I don't understand how to use the typewriter database that I found online for the Imperial 90. Any tips od that would help also.

Thank you.
Lisa.

How rare is an Imperial 90?

25-9-2020 11:54:15  #2

Re: Imperial 90 stripping down.

The Imperial 90 is in fact a re-badged Triumph-Adler Universal 390.  This knowledge may well give you access to more serial number information, and maybe technical information than you would find by searching for 'Imperial 90'.  Sadly, these re-badged typewriters were much better machines than the predecessor Imperial 80 which was made at the Imperial factory in Leicester before it closed down in 1974.

25-9-2020 12:27:21  #3

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've seen the manual for the Triumph Adler Universal 390, so I might start there when it comes to stripping down.
Did you mean that the Imperial 90's were better than the Imperial 80 or vice versa? I think mine is a 1974 make, but the one I have just acquired will need further investigation as I need to go through the rust first before I can make some improvement to it.

How rare is an Imperial 90?

26-9-2020 14:46:28  #4

I meant Imperial 90 good, Imperial 80 not so good !

26-9-2020 20:56:31  #5

Hi Lisa, don't forget to try the aluminium foil and water method of removing rust from chrome. It works a treat, even for quite heavy rust. The following is courtesy of Beak.
"An SM2 with rusted chrome parts landed here today.  Being fed up with washing chromium cleaners off the machine when trying to improve it, I searched the web for a better solution.  I found one and tried it. 
Rub hard with wet tin foil!  Something in the aluminium (apparently) reacts with the rust to draw its oxygen away, and being a very soft metal, ally does not leave scratches.  The scratches in the 'After' photo were always there, as you can see in the 'Before' picture.  Quick application of damp paper towel removes all traces and muck remaining.

I don't know all the pros and cons of this method, and please comment if you know more about this, but I'm in love with it so far; it works, it's quick, it's clean, and you don't have to buy anything!
Judge for yourself this 2 minutes work..."

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

26-9-2020 20:58:38  #6

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

Board footera