You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-3-2015 03:39:09  #1

Chromium quick-fix

An SM2 with rusted chrome parts landed here today.  Being fed up with washing chromium cleaners off the machine when trying to improve it, I searched the web for a better solution.  I found one and tried it. 
Rub hard with wet tin foil!  Something in the aluminium (apparently) reacts with the rust to draw its oxygen away, and being a very soft metal, ally does not leave scratches.  The scratches in the 'After' photo were always there, as you can see in the 'Before' picture.  Quick application of damp paper towel removes all traces and muck remaining.

I don't know all the pros and cons of this method, and please comment if you know more about this, but I'm in love with it so far; it works, it's quick, it's clean, and you don't have to buy anything!
Judge for yourself this 2 minutes work...

Last edited by beak (04-4-2015 03:11:41)

Sincerely,
beak.

30-3-2015 11:39:49  #2

Re: Chromium quick-fix

Wow. I am gonna try that. I especially love the not buying anything part.

30-3-2015 11:59:33  #3

Well, you have to buy the aluminum foil... 

Can't say that I've ever heard of this method, so I'll be watching for more examples of it here. The ultimate solution would be to have the part replated, but as I can attest to, it's an expensive way to go - at least here in Canada. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-3-2015 21:07:05  #4

Much less harmful than using steel wool, which I usually use on these plated parts, but steel wool can still weild good results if used carefully. I'll have to give this method a shot! Thanks for sharing it.

30-3-2015 22:19:29  #5

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Much less harmful than using steel wool, ....

Indeed; all steel wools, no matter how fine, are going to strip the chrome to some extent, and any simple abrasive can only grind away rust.  The wet aluminium creates a chemical reaction to convert the rust, or so I have read.  Of course, this does nothing to prevent the base metal corroding again, so I guess it should be followed up by some wax or laquer to keep the air out.

Very interested to hear how it goes for anyone who tries it.

Last edited by beak (30-3-2015 22:21:22)

Sincerely,
beak.

19-9-2015 15:37:11  #6

I restore bicycles. The tinfoil method works great on bike chrome.
Although I have never used this method on a typewriter I can only assume that the results would be no different.

20-9-2015 18:35:47  #7

Ive used this method for well over a year now. It works wonderfull! Just dont rub TOO HARD over FLAKING CHROME!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera