You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-9-2020 10:22:00  #1

Smith Corona Zephyr Deluxe typewriter

I've seen l960's vintage SC Zephyr Deluxe typewriters for sale, but see no mention of them in the Typewriter Database. Aside from some added features (i.e. ribbon color selector, touch control) they appear identical to the Skywriter. Does anyone know what years this model was made and why there seems to be so little reference to them in the U.S.?

28-9-2020 22:45:23  #2

Re: Smith Corona Zephyr Deluxe typewriter

The original Corona Zephyr De Luxe is listed in the Typewriter Database here. It was produced from 1938-1941, and was the precursor to the Skyriter. Smith Corona brought back the Zephyr name, I think sometime starting in the 60's, but I don't think there are currently any examples of the later Zephyr-badged machines in the database. I think one of the later versions was similar to the Corsair.

28-9-2020 23:29:52  #3

Hi Jlynn

Hopefully I can shed a little light on this for you. There can be some confusion when it comes to Zephyrs and Skyriters as the names were used, reused and used once again for the light weight plastic typewriters. The original 1Y- series Zephyr was made by Smith-Corona in the US from 1938 to 1941 and was toted as the 9 pound wonder. This machine was the genesis for the 2Y- and 3Y-  series Skyriters. These can all be found in the Typewriter Database under Smith-Corona.

In 1960, Smith-Corona became Smith-Corona-Marchand and bought out British Typewriters of West Bromwich in England. British Typewriters had been making the Empire Aristocrat which was a licensed copy of the Hermes Rocket. 

SCM Smith-Corona continued making the gull wing design of travel typewriter for a couple of years calling it the Smith-Corona Empire. I believe some of these units were also named Zephyr and Skyriter. However, these will not be found in the Database under Smith-Corona,, but instead will be found under British Empire S2/ series Empire Aristocrat.

After the factory was retooled, the 4Y- series Skyriter started being produced. This machine looked just like the 2Y- and 3Y- series Skyriters that were made in the USA, but were made in England.

The 4Y- series Skyriter had a 4 year run until the Japanese started flooding the world market with their low cost portable typewriters forcing the Western World manufacturers to drastically cut their production costs. This is when SCM had to once again retool the factory to start producing the 5Y- and 6Y- series lightweight plastic typewriters which were given many names like Corsair, Cougar, Calypso and Profile as well as Zephyr II and Skyriter II.

These machines can be found under both Smith-Corona and British Empire in the Database. Hope this gives you something to work with in your quest for information about these machines. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

29-9-2020 11:44:29  #4

Thanks for your helpful replies. 

30-9-2020 21:51:18  #5

Nice essay! Thanks for that info skywatcher!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

Board footera