You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-3-2017 03:37:31  #1241

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

If you're missing a large chunk, surely it wil need re-covering -- the heat shrink method will just shrink new rubber around the hole...

25-3-2017 05:07:49  #1242

Uwe wrote:

It's actually a rubbish typer*...
*Results may vary. Some people have been known to actually like the Studio 44 and might also like the Lexikon 80 too. 

HEH 

Srsly, though, I am going to be needing a little logo strip, or else a new ribbon cover (though it won't match, will it...) And sadly if it isn't a good typer I will have to sell it - you know what I'm like, it has to be one to use. I even sold my divinely beautiful Groma Modell T because it skipped. 

& I'm never going to have the electric one, but I will have to try and do justice to the obligatory Lexikon/S44/L22 shot... 

25-3-2017 11:19:12  #1243

KatLondon wrote:

If you're missing a large chunk, surely it wil need re-covering -- the heat shrink method will just shrink new rubber around the hole...

I would remove all the old rubber before the heat shrink is applied.
I am trying to make up my mind on whether or not I want to send it to be done by the pros or use heat shrink

My blog - Just Typewriters

25-3-2017 12:44:15  #1244

KatLondon wrote:

Hi Fleetwing. Here's the eBay listing. It won't be the first 99p typewriter I've had; I think just being fearless and not afraid of dirt helps. And confident that you can fix most things. I'm also a person who can walk into a room and see the potential...

Anyway, for less than a coffee I get to have a trip across town, meet a nice person, mess about with a Lexikon, and then, who knows, sell a Lexikon. It's all entertainment, innit. Even the dreaded Royal HH I sold for £6, to a woman who didn't hate it nearly as much as I did.

Doesn't LOOK bad -- and it has the cover too (albeit needing restitching). Looking forward to hearing how it works.

25-3-2017 13:19:12  #1245

I think I've taken against it for having a slightly wider carriage and for not having its logo. And basically for not being one of the ones I was in love with. The problem is I've carried torches for others. 

25-3-2017 13:35:36  #1246

KatLondon wrote:

I am going to be needing a little logo strip, or else a new ribbon cover (though it won't match, will it...) And sadly if it isn't a good typer I will have to sell it - you know what I'm like, it has to be one to use.

The usable typer philosophy is a good one and a mantra that I used to always adhere to, but sometimes you come across a machine that you know you'll never see again, and well, exceptions are made. I think that you'll have to do something creative about the missing model badge. If money wasn't a factor you could just have one reproduced, but that would be a silly expense for a model that was in anything less than showroom new condition. There are all kinds of possibilities and I'm curious about what you'll end up doing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-3-2017 13:40:07  #1247

Bought two machines this weekend - so far. A '30s Olympia Progress, and a '40s Smith-Corona Clipper. I swear these are the LAST two typewriters that I'll ever buy, with the exception being a couple of elusive models that never seem to cross my path (an Olympia Robust and ANY model fitted with a Fraktur typeface). Until I get reorganized and make some space, I've hit my limit!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-3-2017 14:41:24  #1248

That's really something, coming from you. I sold a 1946 Progress a few months ago and I still think of it wistfully...

25-3-2017 15:51:49  #1249

Uwe wrote:

I swear these are the LAST two typewriters that I'll ever buy,  I've hit my limit!

​HA!  

25-3-2017 16:29:02  #1250

CoronaJoe wrote:

​HA!

Honest. I don't even have my fingers crossed behind my back.

Kat, I erred on that Progress. It's actually a very late model, of the last of them made would be my guess, so probably a '48. I shouldn't have bought it, but I did. My excuse - this time - was that I wanted to compare it to an earlier model Progress that I own. Other than the line space lever not snapping back on its own, it's in good shape and types quite willingly - even without the good cleaning that it desperately needs.

The inaugural meeting of the Toronto Typewriter Club was held last weekend at a collector's house and one of the topics of discussion was how to deal with diminishing items. The first item was storage space, and the second - a much greater concern - the patience of spouses who catch us whisking in new machines through the side door...

Board footera