You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-1-2022 18:39:12  #1831

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Perhaps an idea for a different thread, but I think it would be fun to creatively disfigure all of the manufacturer's names. 

For example, may I suggest a nice plate of Olighetti with your wine? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-1-2022 17:16:27  #1832

and maybe a beer beforehand?

- Be kind 

24-1-2022 11:38:40  #1833

"Old-Lumpias"....great when they are freshly made and fried...but go rancid in no time.

28-2-2022 16:19:59  #1834

I picked up an Adler J5 recently. Poorly packed, loose in it's case, so one of the carriage knobs was shattered. I glued the pieces back together as neatly as possible but can't really hide the fact that it is a repair. It has a sans serif typeface I'm not familiar with but nice to have something different. The uppercase letters are a little light at the tops so I need to research if there is adjustment for that. It has a plastic shell but the internals are precision and it is a responsive typer.

- Be kind 

28-2-2022 21:09:51  #1835

mikeytap wrote:

I picked up an Adler J5 recently. Poorly packed, loose in it's case, so one of the carriage knobs was shattered. I glued the pieces back together as neatly as possible but can't really hide the fact that it is a repair. It has a sans serif typeface I'm not familiar with but nice to have something different. The uppercase letters are a little light at the tops so I need to research if there is adjustment for that. It has a plastic shell but the internals are precision and it is a responsive typer.

Acquired & sold one of these once. Surprisingly nice machines and they dont look bad either. They have all the major features, as far as functionality is concerned not much to be left desired. Touch was a tad heavy if I recall, so not a fast typer. But so are all Erikas. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

25-3-2022 07:44:27  #1836

Having been silent on typewriter talk for 18 months or so, I have bought and sold many typewriters. My process starting ten years ago was to find the ideal typewriter for my usage. I ended up with many of course. All of which I shall post here, but in the meantime, my favourite all purpose machine is the Hermes 2000, mine from 1956.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

02-4-2022 18:03:28  #1837

This thrift shop find was very dirty and had a few problems. The arm was detached and I found the screw in the case but it was stripped. I found an allen socket head screw, metric stainless steel, at Ace Hardware and that did the trick. One of the ribbon spools mechanisms is much stiffer to turn than the other, interfering a bit with the vibrator action. I'll wait for a rainy day to take that apart. But not bad for $8.

- Be kind 

03-4-2022 09:02:16  #1838

When a new-to-me machine comes into my home, I will run a function/operation check and make a List of any/all that might be wrong with the machine.

Then I will do a deep cleaning and oil the appropriate parts and run through that List, again.

I am always surprised how many issues/problems just evaporate after the deep cleaning.

Once my List is at 1-2-3 items, I will then break out the tools, etc.

03-4-2022 09:02:40  #1839

zoom wrote:

Having been silent on typewriter talk for 18 months or so, I have bought and sold many typewriters. My process starting ten years ago was to find the ideal typewriter for my usage. I ended up with many of course. All of which I shall post here, but in the meantime, my favourite all purpose machine is the Hermes 2000, mine from 1956.

Looks like a nice one. I also began searching to find the just the right one for me. But I can't seem to land anywhere. There are so many different actions, it almost depends on how I feel on a particular day, loose and jangly or tight and precise. 

- Be kind 

04-4-2022 02:32:29  #1840

I borrowed an Olympia manual typewriter from user fountainpenplus recently and now I’m here with you all! I have a blue Smith Corona Coronet Super 12 Coronamatic that I bought on eBay. To my surprise it has Italic Artistic Script (no. 75). It’s working fine except for some belt-slap noise. Determined to add a desk machine I began searching for a Hermes 10 Electric. Today was my day! I won an eBay auction and the seller is right here in Eugene. Sometimes things are just meant to be! No shipping damage worries. I look forward to posting photos of my typewriters and their respective typeface samples. I plan to add a manual portable at some point, too.

"When I look at my life and it's secret colors, I feel like bursting into tears" Albert Camus
I type standing up.

Board footera