You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-3-2023 18:16:13  #1891

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Hi John,

If you scroll through the photo galleries on the TWDB, you will see the changes and variety of colors and features on the SM9 through its years from 1964 to 1979.

https://typewriterdatabase.com/Olympia.SM9.61.bmys

And the text and notations in the SN Listings on the TWDB, also yields more info. about changes to the machines and the timing of those machines.  Scroll down on this page to where the SM8 & SM9 are covered.

https://typewriterdatabase.com/olympia.61.typewriter-serial-number-database

06-3-2023 18:29:36  #1892

Finally just heard back from the guy selling the Hermes 3000 and looks like I may be acquiring that tonight.

it’s a 1958 or 1959 model with what I believe is the less desirable cover mechanism. I also know these earlier ones have the possibly less stout key slot design that is flat instead of curved. Anything else I should know that is different about the early ones vs the ‘60+ years?

06-3-2023 19:29:21  #1893

If your in-coming needs some paint touch-ups, this nail polish called "Thyme Is Money" by Sally Hansen is the stuff to use.

I apply it in 2 coats with a fine artist brush...as the nail applicator in the bottle puts on too much.  Let it dry for 1-2 days, light sanding with 2000 grit wet & dry emery paper and another application of the touch up...bit more sanding when that is dry and a final polish out with car wax.

07-3-2023 00:17:25  #1894

OMG, you are too good to me!
Yes, I will be needing that. So cool that it matches without needing to mix in another color. I picked up the 1959 H3k tonight for $200 including the lid, brushes and original owners manual. It’s dirty and gunked up, but already all keys are working (some slowly). Everything works and nothing appears broken or missing. Actually, the lid lock/core is missing, but nothing on the typewriter itself. Serial number is 3013190. 

This was the most i’ve paid for a typewriter, but knew going in it would be and was the cheapest one I could find. Not pristine like my also new SM7, but really still pretty good, and I’m very excited now that I’ve sat down with it and know it’s just going to be a good cleaning and some touch up painting.

I actually probably wouldn’t have tried to paint it, but with your knowledge and direction on the paint to match, I will definitely try it. I’m shocked to find how much insulation they used on these machines. 

Also, I am pleasantly surprised at the feel of both of these newest typewriters after all the reading and video watching I’ve done. I really had expected they weren’t going to feel as good to me as the Silent Super, but I think I’m going to be preferring the two.

Thanks again for all your help!

07-3-2023 11:27:40  #1895

Hi John,

Keep in mind each machine has its unique history...one of which is how much sunlight a machine was exposed to, etc.  Paint does fade with time, sunlight,  and other exposures.

I was lucky that my machine was obviously a "case queen" (or not stored near a window) and the Sally Hansen product was a perfect match.

But I did try some test-areas along the carriage rails to see how close a match it was to determine if I would need to blend in other colours.  But I got lucky and did not need to do so.

07-3-2023 21:50:51  #1896

I tried it on some places on the cover today. Perfect match!
Thanks again!

14-3-2023 19:33:33  #1897

Well, the paint didn’t match quite as well on the body as it did the case, but i’ll probably work on it more over time. I’m not going to be a perfectionist especially knowing I’m not going to sell it. I don’t think I have the patience for perfecting it. 

I absolutely love the feel of the Hermes. It has quickly become my favorite. The SC 5TE is still easier to type on, but I like not having to deal with plugging in. 

i used the flitz on the case handle for my SM7. That stuff is amazing. It practically instantly took off the rust. Unfortunately, I kept working it and ended up making it look like brushed aluminum instead of chrome.

i did the lock mechanism second with much better results.

25-3-2023 22:07:44  #1898

So, I bought another Hermes 3000 and also my first Olympia SM3. Bought both on shopgoodwill and probably paid top dollar for both. I picked up the Hermes on Tuesday and have to say, I think i got lucky. It’s one of the cleanest I’ve seen on the database or in ads. Super clean inside and out and is the only typewriter I’ve acquired so far where all the keys worked perfectly without any cleaning. There was a typewriter shop sticker on the machine from a local area shop that is now out of business, but it is very obvious this machine was maintained by a professional and/or maybe not used very much. Super clean under the skin. The case was filthy but cleaned up to good condition; however, not on the same level as the typewriter itself. As noted in the parts section, it is missing the left platen knob and the card guide, but other than that, appears to be fantastic condition. It is a 1962 model with the upgraded vinyl/leatherette case with black piping. My other Hermes is a 1959.

The Olympia SM3 just got shipped today. Hoping it shows up intact. I sent them detailed packing instructions but of course, it’s always a gamble. I don’t know the year of this one yet, but definitely an SM3 as it does not have the tab keys next to the space bar. Body color is burgundy and the keys look black but could also be the dark burgundy color. Definitely looks dirty from the photos, so deep cleaning will be a certainty. 

i’m thinking if I like the SM3, my SM7 will be up for sale, as it ismy least favorite machine at this point despite being a pristine example. 

18-6-2023 11:22:32  #1899

Good evening!

I want to show my recent acquisition which is quite interesting and rare, I think!

It is an Olympia SM4 with a special keyboard:

I have problems to put pictures directly into... I will try to find the mistake. 

[Edit---> Removed dead links and combined posts. Uwe]

Last edited by Uwe (19-6-2023 10:42:05)

19-6-2023 10:43:05  #1900

09, please read this thread: Typewriter Talk FAQ - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera