You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-9-2015 13:03:34  #321

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

retro wrote:

now if Olympia made a lightweight portable as good as that but which one should I be looking for? 

If you want one that will compliment your SM9 from a design perspective, I'd look for a SF De Luxe. The De Luxe part of the model name is important as it has a completely different case than the regular SF.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-9-2015 15:58:16  #322

I love the Splendids, too, but they are not as lightweight as some... 

Malole, I know!! The case is pretty beat up, too - I think I might have to stuff it with wet newsapers to get it back into shape... then again, she had it on for a tenner, and she now has some other things on for substantially more, so I think she knows...

Retro, well there you have an idea. Adler or no, I have been wondering if it might not be fun to organise some sort of London gathering of the clans... I suppose for a type-in sort of event you need to find a very friendly amenable pub... I'm sure there's a Wetherspoons near Liverpool St, though can't remember which one it is - and as I live all of 20 mins from Liverpool St station I would be well up for it. Though maybe with something lighter-weight and quieter than an Adler!

24-9-2015 09:46:49  #323

Um... yeah, so that thing about not buying any more typewriters? It worked for a while... I've just this minute come back from getting this one:And I have only a few things to say: 
1. It was £12.
2. It was a 15-minute walk from my flat.
3. I just have to stop now.
4. I think I'm in love. 

Last edited by KatLondon (24-9-2015 09:47:50)

24-9-2015 10:18:10  #324

You walked 15 min with that SG under your arm? (Strong girl...) ;>

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

24-9-2015 10:51:06  #325

Ha! Yes. Well I walked there... I was going to get a cab back but the seller was on her way to get the kids from school and gave me a lift back.

(I did carry it up four flights of stairs at the end, though!)

Last edited by KatLondon (24-9-2015 10:52:06)

24-9-2015 11:07:58  #326

KatLondon wrote:

I've just this minute come back from getting this one: 

My absolute favorite machine! I'm surprised it has a German keyboard. Is the paper rest there? Because it's a quick-detach part, many have been lost over the years. And no paper injector system? I would have bought it for that missing feature alone. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-9-2015 11:13:44  #327

Uwe, I thought you'd be interested! There isn't even a slot for a paper injector. And the rest is unfortunately long gone, clearly. Yes, it's a German keyboard, but those are not so uncommon over here. My Hermes Baby is also German, and I think I have another one too.

Where the £ would be, above the 5, it has a DM instead.

It needs a clean and the ribbon is tired, but it's already working better than a lot of others, and it gives you wings on your fingers. As it happens, I have five vintage blue-&-red ribbons winging their way here as we speak - and I guess it will all last until I get a chance to give it a good clean. Next week, at this rate.

PS, do you mean you'd have bought it for the paper injector, or that you'd have bought it because it's interesting that it doesn't have one? 

The thing that surprised me when I got it home was how much smaller than the SG3 it is! That SG3 is an absolute elegant beast! Currently with its platen out, but once it's back together and the SG1 is clean, I'll have to get a photo of the two of them side by side.

Last edited by KatLondon (24-9-2015 11:16:56)

24-9-2015 11:27:31  #328

I would have bought it because it doesn't have a paper injector. I've lost track of how many SG1s I own - around 8 I think - but I don't think I have one that doesn't have the paper injector. It's very possibly that all export models had an injector, so your machine is very intriguing to me. 

24-9-2015 11:31:01  #329

Yes I thought you meant that! But I'd have loved to have the injector. My SG3 doesn't have it either. I'll get proper photos up of this one once I've had a chance to clean etc .

24-9-2015 11:33:18  #330

KatLondon wrote:

Currently with its platen out, but once it's back together and the SG1 is clean, I'll have to get a photo of the two of them side by side.

Really great find, Kat. I'm interested in seeing the SG1 /SG3 comparison photo.

Board footera