You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-6-2021 22:52:16  #1

QDL Margin +1

Frequently a carriage return leaves me 1 space ahead of the margin, instead of at the margin. Other times it doesn't. Its a 51 Royal Quiet De Luxe.   Not sure what to look for...

19-6-2021 00:06:33  #2

Re: QDL Margin +1

Hi Overwood

From what I understand, Royal typewriters were made with a springy left margin stop to absorb some of the impact from a thrown carriage or a hard return. If you do a hard return, the carriage comes to rest at the left margin. If you drag the carriage all the way across and do a soft return, the shock absorbing spring will often stop the carriage before actually contacting the left margin.

There was a post on this forum back in 2016 about Throwing or Dragging the carriage to the next line. See if this makes any sense towards answering your question. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

19-6-2021 08:03:48  #3

Re: QDL Margin +1

That was an interesting read. I don't know if I'm a thrower or a dragger but I know that in order to prevent it from happening at random I almost have to becom a rammer or a slammer and I don't want to be either one because I know bad things will happen...so I guess I have to learn to be a "hard returner"

Board footera