You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-4-2024 06:26:45  #31

Re: SG-3 Line lock?

del20nd, welcome to this forum. You'll find it useful.

Did you read this thread from the beginning? Your observations are covered pretty thoroughly in the early part, before the skills, knowledge, and ethics digression. That part references a still-earlier thread with yet more detail about your observation, at https://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3327. Check it out and let us know whether it covers your concerns about the Olympus SG3 right margin design.

I'll grant that it does not go into the actual mechanisms that accomplish this operation but at least it may put you at ease about what is happening even though it may leave you wondering whether yours is physically adjusted properly.

16-4-2024 08:56:53  #32

Re: SG-3 Line lock?

M. Höhne wrote:

del20nd, welcome to this forum. You'll find it useful.

Did you read this thread from the beginning? Your observations are covered pretty thoroughly in the early part, before the skills, knowledge, and ethics digression. That part references a still-earlier thread with yet more detail about your observation, at https://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3327. Check it out and let us know whether it covers your concerns about the Olympus SG3 right margin design.

I'll grant that it does not go into the actual mechanisms that accomplish this operation but at least it may put you at ease about what is happening even though it may leave you wondering whether yours is physically adjusted properly.

Thank you for the welcome!

I had read through the earlier part of the thread, but it seemed like there was still some disagreement as you read through, which made me want to check it out for myself.

I wanted to share pictures of the mechanism, since that hadn't been done yet. To me, the mechanism seems pretty self explanatory when you actually see it. IMO there's no way the tiny bump on the right margin stop was designed to work when you blow past it with the tab key or a carriage release, no matter what the instruction manual says. The best I was able to accomplish was getting the space key to stop, but I think that was more of a happy accident than an intended feature.

As an aside, the key stop mechanism on my machine actually was defective when I got it. There's a piece of rubber behind the key stop universal bar that sits right behind the keyboard. The rubber had gone just a little bit sticky, and was holding the bar in place. I fixed that by maneuvering it out and cleaning it with isopropyl. This also had the effect of making the keys travel feel a little smoother, since that same piece of rubber also acts as a rest for the key levers.

Again, thanks for the welcome!

Board footera