You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2023 13:13:22  #11

Re: SC Pacemaker

Enjoyed a nice Spring morning in my open garage with the 1961 S-C Pacemaker.

Tabulator sticking issue cleaned right up.

Ribbon spools were not moving but a deep clean of their mechanisms took care of that.

Touched up quite a few paint nicks all over the place with some custom paint I made up.  Got a very good match made up.  I used 2 shades of green, a bit of grey and even a drop or 2 of black to get it right.  Paint colour is definitely a light sage green with a slight hint of grey.

Still deciding whether to add some different colour to the ribbon cover.  Maybe a light nutmeg colour.  Will think about this for another week or so.

Compared to my Royal FP standard in terms of typing...I think I like my Royal somewhat more than this S-C Pacemaker.  The Pacemaker does not appear to have a touch control feature...which seems odd for a desktop machine.

23-5-2023 16:33:42  #12

Your machine looks really good as it is.  Just a personal opinion - and after all it IS your typewriter to do whatever you wish with  - but personally I would leave it alone and not re-colour anything.  It seems to me to be too good an example to do that sort of thing to.

23-5-2023 20:33:37  #13

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your inputs...I think you are probably right.

With the touch-ups I have done for the overall "sage" colour, I think this one looks as good as it possibly can...as-is.

24-5-2023 01:07:00  #14

That cleaned up really nicely! Looks great!

24-5-2023 08:10:49  #15

Hi Rob,

I am disappointed that I am not liking this one as much as my Royal FP.  The action of this Pacemaker is a bit "lumbering" and holds me back, somewhat.  I think the geometry of the linkages might just be too long for it to be a really snappy machine.  If the Pacemaker were electric...that would be different.

It also needs a touch control but seems like that came on the other models at the time.

There is a collector 2 hours from my home.  I might see if he has a machine I can "trade" with him for the Pacemaker.

But I will work with the Pacemaker for a month or so...before taking such actions.

24-5-2023 10:27:34  #16

thetypewriterman wrote:

...personally I would leave it alone and not re-colour anything. It seems to me to be too good an example to do that sort of thing to.

I have to second this opinion. I have the Secretarial variant of this generation (the Sixty-Two) that featured a factory two-tone treatment (as did the Electric), and it doesn't look as good the colour scheme of this particular Pacemaker. It doesn't help that mine is a well-beaten example, one that clearly had a long and hard life in an office.

In terms of touch control, the Secretarial has a seven position set-up.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-5-2023 18:35:03  #17

Pete E. wrote:

Hi Rob,

I am disappointed that I am not liking this one as much as my Royal FP.  The action of this Pacemaker is a bit "lumbering" and holds me back, somewhat.  I think the geometry of the linkages might just be too long for it to be a really snappy machine.  If the Pacemaker were electric...that would be different.

It also needs a touch control but seems like that came on the other models at the time.

There is a collector 2 hours from my home.  I might see if he has a machine I can "trade" with him for the Pacemaker.

But I will work with the Pacemaker for a month or so...before taking such actions.

That's unfortunate that it's disappointingly slow (I guess "Pacemaker" is an apt name: It makes you go at a slower pace...). Good, though, that you have the option to use it as a bargaining chip.

26-5-2023 18:43:14  #18

Well....I did a big 180-degree turn about its colour scheme.

Here is its new look.

I am inclinded to keep it now... with its new colours...slow typing pace and all.

31-5-2023 16:58:15  #19

Comparison views of my 1961 S-C Pacemaker and my 1960 Royal FP.

The Pacemaker weighs in at 29.8 lbs. while the Royal FP is a bit lighter at 29.54 lbs. even though it a a bit larger, overall.

Board footera