You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-12-2021 17:33:06  #1

Stuck "up" ribbon carrier - SC Silent Super. New guy out over his skis

I caught the fever, joined the forum and bought my first typewriter. It's a 1954 Smith Corona Silent Super. Just unboxed it so haven't had a chance to clean anything or replace the ribbon. The ribbon carrier stays up and does not rise and fall while typing letters, so I don't see what I've just typed. It's more than just gummed, seems to be locked in the up position. 

I know I took a chance to buy a used one online and I'm hoping it is something I might be able to fix myself. I'm pretty tool-handy from car work and guitar rebuilds. I've been studying youtube videos showing though cleaning and prep of old machines. Any DIY tips would be appreciated. 

- Be kind 

29-12-2021 17:34:27  #2

Re: Stuck "up" ribbon carrier - SC Silent Super. New guy out over his skis

a photo I meant to include:

- Be kind 

29-12-2021 18:34:37  #3

Free and working now after some attention. Sorry. I'll do a thorough cleaning. Smells like 3-in-1 oil. 
m

- Be kind 

30-12-2021 17:11:23  #4

For cleaning: mineral spirits, Simple Green, contact cleaner, Scratch Doctor, and Nevr-Dull

' ( : : : )

30-12-2021 17:36:15  #5

I've heard mineral spirits is the thing to use. I did spray some Nu-Trol, alternating with blowing compressed air and it's fixed a few things that were sticking. But this old blue typewriter almost looks like a time machine example that was hardly used. A few things sticking after so many years sitting idle.

As an aside, I've typed a few days on this manual and had to get used to making very deliberate and even pressured strokes on each key with all my fingers. Little fingers still a little weak. Then when I get back on my computer keyboard I find it has really improved my technique there.

typing on a manual really helps my speed on the computer keyboard. The discipline of making an even pressure on each key. 

- Be kind 

30-12-2021 22:10:55  #6

For lubricating typewriters, and other pieces of fine machinery, you should use gun oil or sewing machine oil. Those are silicone based oils and will evaporate cleanly. All petroleum based oils (3-n-1 oil, etc) will evaporate down to leave gum behind eventually. (PS - WD-40 isn*t even a lubricant,)

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

01-1-2022 09:03:19  #7

That white band on the lower-portion of the ribbon is correcto-tape.  Simply awful stuff that dries and flakes off and gets into every moving part, it seems.

01-1-2022 10:20:27  #8

Pete E. wrote:

That white band on the lower-portion of the ribbon is correcto-tape.  Simply awful stuff that dries and flakes off and gets into every moving part, it seems.

I figured as much. I will replace it when my ribbons arrive.  Do you guys rewind new ribbon on the original metal spools or just pop in the new plastic ones? I'm assuming the ones I ordered from Amazon will fit my SC silent super.

- Be kind 

01-1-2022 12:33:06  #9

Also Nu-trol being a mineral oil sounds like something you want to clean off before it starts collecting new gunk. I will defer to the experts on that though.

01-1-2022 15:05:34  #10

Hi Mike

If the typewriter still has its original metal spools, I view these as being the same as the original wire spoked rims on a 1936 Mercedes Roadster and the ribbon as the tires. You know you're going to have to change the ribbon, so either rewind the new ribbon onto the metal spools, or keep the metal spools with the typewriter. For me personally, having a set of original or original style metal spools on a typewriter makes it more desirable.

A Cole-Steel typewriter with its original spools will often sell for up to $100.00 more than one with plastic spools. I have seen OEM Hermes metal spools sell for $60.00 a piece. Back when typewriters were the mainstay of the office or home, the average owner or operator just found it quicker and easier to switch out the spools and ribbon together and chuck the spools out with the ribbon. Who would have thought back in the 1950's to the 1970's that keeping the original spools would have meant something to a typewriter collector some 50 to 70 years in the future. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera