You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-6-2022 09:05:14  #21

Re: Do you buy multiples of the same machine?

I exercised great self-control this week...when a Facit TP1 with green key-tops was offered on eBay.

It looked like a great-condition machine.  But price was high at $ 200 plus sales tax.

Identical to the TP1 I have (same Viking grey colour)  but which has dark-grey key-tops.

I could not justify the asking price for just the change of plastic colours...even though this was colour-
scheme I was looking for at the time I wanted to acquire a TP1.

Here is a photo of the one on eBay this week :

15-6-2022 09:15:49  #22

Rob,

Yes...I have a series of Facit portable machines...running from a TP1, TP2, 1620, and even an ADDO.

Although they span about 20 years in the production runs, there is still enough "commonality" amongst them to look at 1 or 2 to figure out what might be wrong with a 3rd.  It is also interesting to see how plastic components started to show up and make its way into the design and manufacturing process at Facit in Sweden.  And to see the "lightening" of metal to alloys and levers to rod-links, etc.

I do have 2 Royal Futura's 800's (one in all grey and one with "cococa" a colour-accents.  It is nice to have one on the side when working on the other.

15-6-2022 11:22:17  #23

Yes. For learning typewriter maintenance I acquired a lot of Olympia Travellers and Triumph Tippa's. Machines I use the most I have in redundancy: 3 Triumph Matura's and 3 Triumph Tippa's, all from the same model. 

16-6-2022 14:36:22  #24

I like having multiple typeface options and like some others on this thread, a spare machine can save time hunting for parts. This could be why I now own THREE Smith Corona Coronet Super 12 Coronamatic baby blues. Two have the SC No. 75 Artistic Script and one has 10 CPI. Ok, maybe it’s also because they are still very inexpensive! One of the script machine, my first, arrived with belt slap noise. This led to general parts insecurity anxiety. Not that I’d use a used belt to repair it…I just feel good having them all and that’s enough justification for me. 

"When I look at my life and it's secret colors, I feel like bursting into tears" Albert Camus
I type standing up.

18-6-2022 13:48:01  #25

Was the lone-bidder on another 1970's Olympia Traveller.  This will be my 2nd. Traveller.

It does not have "Traveller" or "Deluxe"  nameplate but it has the Deluxe features (i.e. 2-color ribbon and touch-control (under the ribbon cover).  Same as my 1st,. Traveller.

Both Travellers were made in Western Germany...not Yugoslvia.

I also have a 1966 Olympia SF...but I think I like typing on the Traveller a bit more.

My first machine got its ribbon-cover repainted in "Pistachio" green by me,  I think this 2nd. Traveller will get a "Powder" blue repaint on its cover.

Should have this 2nd. Traveller in a week or so.

18-6-2022 13:51:20  #26

Here is my 1st. Traveller...

18-6-2022 14:51:59  #27

I doubled up on this 1960 Tower Tabulator, in beige/pinkish color with holiday case. The price was too good to ignore and it's in awesome condition so had to get it. Will be arriving soon and I will tune it up, stare at it a while, and gift it to friend or family member. 

. . . and this one I have had for a while. A really good typer. 

- Be kind 

18-6-2022 21:16:34  #28

Mikeytap,

Those are such lovely machines.  Congratulations.

And that S-R emblem is genious.  Very "atomic" looking.

04-7-2022 14:43:40  #29

Got my 1970 Olympia Traveller (really a Deluxe) all cleaned, serviced and lubricated.

Added a pale blue colour ascent to the ribbon cover.  Almost the same colour as on the blue-coloured SM7's.

Peel & stick felt added to 2/3 of the inside surface of the bottom panel as well as the underside of the ribbon cover.  Less metallic-sounding and more wooden-sounding, now.

It types as well as my 1971 machine.

04-7-2022 16:39:02  #30

Great color accents. Similar pastel shades make them look like brother and sister from the factory. Much nicer to rest eyes on than black/white.

I've had poor luck lately with painting. I did good prep, sprayed primer, waited 2 days and sprayed a Futura 800 top with a Krylon blue and got immediate bubbles. Wet sanded again, repeated the process twice before I got a good coating. Maybe a humidity difference or bad can of Hobby Lobby paint.   

- Be kind 

Board footera