You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-2-2022 08:18:49  #1

Mechanical calculators

I am interested to see how clearly Sigvard Bernadotte’s elegant design language for FACIT typewriters is reflected in the FACIT mechanical calculator for which FACIT was probably better known, e.g., the C1-13 calculator that I have my eye on on eBay presently (I have wanted one of these to play with for a while now). The machines are siblings, with styling changes from the curves of c.1957 to the more angular look that made its appearance  c.1964.

Does anyone have a matching set, or indeed, matching sets from other manufacturers like Olivetti, where there was a similarly striking design language in evidence during these years? 

15-2-2022 16:45:23  #2

Re: Mechanical calculators

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

15-2-2022 16:56:26  #3

Beautiful. I've never come across any Olympia adding machines locally, which explains why I don't own one...  I certainly wouldn't be able to pass on buying one given the continuity in design - and near identical platen knob.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-2-2022 18:29:09  #4

Well that didn’t work…. How does one post a photo on this board?!

15-2-2022 18:30:58  #5

15-2-2022 19:27:46  #6

Uwe wrote:

Beautiful. I've never come across any Olympia adding machines locally, which explains why I don't own one...  I certainly wouldn't be able to pass on buying one given the continuity in design - and near identical platen knob.

I wanted to get one of those plastic bodied black&white electric machines from the 70s to fit with my Report Deluxe, but I ran out of space on my desk. Even these "smaller" models are still quite huge. Unlike typewriters these old calculators really are purely collectors items & I cant justify sacrificing the space to store them. Very cool tho. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

15-2-2022 19:38:33  #7

Gerd, that is such a lovely calculating machine.  Congratulations !

15-2-2022 19:41:30  #8

Found this web site with lots of info. and more photo of Olympia machines :

http://www.johnwolff.id.au/calculators/Olympia/Olympia.htm

16-2-2022 12:25:34  #9

Maschinengeschrieben wrote:

... Unlike typewriters these old calculators really are purely collectors items & I cant justify sacrificing the space to store them. ...

That would be my philosophy too, a really nice one to compliment a favorite typewriter - purely a one-and-done purchase. Well, you certainly picked out a nice one for sole example. I came close to buying a Remington adder that closely matched its portable models of the period, but in the end I decided the cost was too high for a display-only item. With everything opening up again, I'm looking forward to this season's antique markets.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-2-2022 12:26:23  #10

Beachycove wrote:

Well that didn’t work…. How does one post a photo on this board?!

Typewriter Talk FAQ - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST! 

(Note: I deleted the first attempt with the broken links, and couldn't fix the second so it would visible here because it's likely that website has disabled hotlinking)

Board footera