You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-6-2022 19:19:33  #21

Re: Remington Quiet-Riter....In-Coming...

Uwe wrote:

robmck wrote:

... (t)here's a Torpedo (model 18?) that still lingers in my mind and fingertips (though my wallet is not ready for the $600 price tag). 

$600 USD!?! I keep seeing these asking prices for portables that we were buying not that many years ago for less than $50 CAD, but I doubt that I'll ever get used to them. I understand that this particular one was probably refurbished, restored, or re-something

re-painted.

08-6-2022 09:30:21  #22

Rob,

Yes a long road trip with some over-night stays to get to next year's type-in at Bremerton WA could also be combined with visiting the 3-4 typewriter shops in Portland OR on my way home.

I have placed a schedule reminder on my PC for next early spring...to keep an eye out for the Type-In announcements.

08-6-2022 10:57:16  #23

Sounds like a great trip! I've been meaning to do a typewriter safari in Portland but haven't gotten around to it yet. 

08-6-2022 12:48:55  #24

robmck wrote:

I've been meaning to do a typewriter safari in Portland but haven't gotten around to it yet. 

Typewriter hunts - particularly with someone who is equally keen about finding such treasures - is a lot of fun. About seven years ago I went with a friend on a full-day sweep of a region two hours to the west and had a real blast. We combed local ads and antique shops, and came back without any room left in his car. I think we bought a dozen or so machines between us, many of them standards, which is why we ran out of room. We still go out hunting together a few times a year, but it's just to our local antique markets where the competition is stiff and the prices typically higher than we're willing to pay.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-6-2022 22:43:14  #25

Great haul!

So the lesson is: bring the biggest car you can...

09-6-2022 08:37:58  #26

I found myself going to lots of local thrift shops here in Idaho.

Never came home with a decent typewriter (at a decent price) but vintage sewing machines from the 1950-60's kept following me home.

We now have 10 of them and they all work & got serviced by us and my wife loves to sew.  Her sewing/hobby room can hold no more.

Board footera