You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-2-2023 20:28:16  #11

Re: Oil -- Where and what kind?

Thank you Kalani, we're on the same wavelength.  I've never thought of odors, but you make a great point.  Since all I use is mineral spirits and oil for general clean up; thinner and Hoppe's No. 9 for tough jobs, the final step is spirits, a diluted oil with a follow up with lube in the needed areas.  The end is a typewriter that smells like a typewriter; at least as I recall that from the 1960s.  I have a Remington 17 I've had in storage for 15 years since I restored and last used it.  It's still fully functional though it would get a minor lube if needed daily.

02-2-2023 21:14:07  #12

Nothing better than to smell an ink-ribbon and some machine oil when using a typewriter.

However...I have an Imperial Good Companion 5 that I got from an old couple in the UK...and after much cleaning and deodorizing...it still has a bit of "old couple's home" smell.

Which brings a smile to me as I am brought back to the memory of my grandparents home in The Hauge (in the Netherlands) which was over 150 years old.

04-2-2023 11:39:51  #13

I've been getting good results with these longer stem applicators. Coincidentally, they are a direct fit for the Versa Oil bottles with short stems.
Available Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7R1TBF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Board footera