You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-10-2014 15:39:22  #1

How to know when you've reached the last line?

Hello everyone, my name is Robert and I just restored my great-grandfather's Underwood Touch-Master Five. I love these old manual typewriters, allows me to write and not constantly go back every three sentences and edit :D

How do you guys/gals know when you are at the end of the page? Just guestament? Or, is there something I am overlooking? Since I started using the typewriter to work on my book, I made a template in OpenOffice with line numbers every fifth line, down to 25, which is my last line, so I get approximately 250 words per page. I'd love to hear everyone's technique on how you know you are on the last line of the page. Thank you very much!

Last edited by hillbilly74 (14-10-2014 15:40:55)

My "Collection" 
1947 Patria
1962 Underwood TouchMaster Five
1983 Adler Meteor 12

14-10-2014 16:07:37  #2

Re: How to know when you've reached the last line?

Many typewriters have platens that keep track of page use. If you have a machine without that feature, and it's important to know when you're near the bottom, you could always just put a tiny pencil mark in the left margin where your last line shoud be.

I've got three Touch-Master Five machines, and although they changed slightly during their production run, I don't think any have this feature.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-10-2014 07:38:19  #3

Thank you very much! Don't know why I never thought of a pencil mark, I guess it wasn't complicated enough

My "Collection" 
1947 Patria
1962 Underwood TouchMaster Five
1983 Adler Meteor 12

16-10-2014 14:26:00  #4

Some machines also had a bar that would pop up to both hold up your page, and measure how much you had left to type. 

16-10-2014 16:49:59  #5

[img]file:///Users/PatrickMont/Desktop/image1.JPG[/img]Sorry. I am trying to get a picture uploaed for an example. No sucess yet. 

Last edited by Ektagraphic (16-10-2014 16:50:27)

16-10-2014 17:19:00  #6

Ektagraphic wrote:

[img]file:///Users/PatrickMont/Desktop/image1.JPG[/img]Sorry. I am trying to get a picture uploaed for an example. No sucess yet. 

Instructions, if you're having trouble, are in the FAQ topic, which is pinned in the Type Talk sub-forum. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-10-2014 15:13:56  #7

I used the mark at the bottom of the page technique when I was in high school, back in the, OMG, the 60's.

19-10-2014 13:07:20  #8

minkowski1552 wrote:

I used the mark at the bottom of the page technique when I was in high school, back in the, OMG, the 60's.

I think that that technique was taught in my typing class in the 70's.

Clark

24-9-2015 13:00:06  #9

I know I've reached the last line when the bar maid says "Get out of here. We're closing!" [joke]
Making the tiny little pencil mark is the usual way. I've fiddled with those end-of-page scales on the platen and they take a while to set up for each page and I'm changing typers so often I never have gotten any use out of them. My method is to use a three-hole punch on my typing paper (since I'm going to put it into a loose-leaf notebook anyway). The bottom hole is just about right for the bottom line of text. Then put two more lines and a page number and I'm done. Works every time!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

04-5-2016 17:20:42  #10

minkowski1552 wrote:

We still used it in the 80's.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera