You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-11-2014 07:45:56  #1

Royal KHM 1938

Hi!

I am a newby to the topic and have been reading the postings in this forum for hours now. Loads of information and very interesting!

For over 25 years now I own an old typewriter knewing nothing much about it, but looking after it carefully. I lived in the Netherlands, Europe and around 1990 I bought it there for approximately 35 US$ - to my opinion for little money since it seemed to me to be very, very old.

Now I think I found out that it is a Royal KHM with a large carriage and extra 5 decimal tabs. In the Royal typewriter database it says it is back from 1938. The serial number though is larger than usual (?)HM 18-92-2201846. Since the serial number is partly covered,I cannot read the beginning of the serial number. I assume it could be KHM or KDTHM. On the right shift key it says it was imported by the exclusive distributor Blikman & Sartorius from Amsterdam, Netherlands. The typewriter still works well and seems to me to be complete but need to be cleaned urgently.

Is there anything special about this serial number / typewriter? What does 18-92 mean? Can it be a KDTHM?

Thanks for helping me!

Best regards

Erik

Last edited by KHM Interested (23-11-2014 13:21:49)

23-11-2014 14:15:40  #2

Re: Royal KHM 1938

Hi Erik,

No, there's nothing unusual with the serial number.

(?)HM 18-92-2201846
(?)HM - Should be KHM (model type)
18 - Carriage width in inches
92 - Keyboard type
2201846 - Serial number (1938 model KHM)

Last edited by Uwe (23-11-2014 14:20:43)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-11-2014 14:51:08  #3

Hi Uwe,

you're right - it says KHM 18-92-etc.

If this maschine is nothing "special", I think I will sell it and buy an older one.

Any idea about the value (range) of this particular model? Unfortunately, I have no chance to upload a picture since I have no web space. Surely I can send you images, if you could give me an email address.

Best regards

Erik

Last edited by KHM Interested (23-11-2014 14:54:34)

23-11-2014 15:54:23  #4

I didn't say the KHM wasn't anything special, just its serial number!  The KHM is a nice typewriter, I like their type action and the overall design, but it depends on why you want a typewriter. Getting an older one isn't necessarily a good idea if you want a typewriter to type with, but if it's just decoration in your house - then yes, there are 'prettier' machines than the KHM.

As for what it is worth, it completely depends on the condition the machine is in, and where you live. If you look at my 1936 KHM (below), it cost me $50. It did need a lot of cleaning, but it was mechanically sound and it types perfectly.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-9-2015 12:50:43  #5

That's a beautiful machine, Uwe!  I've got a 1936 KHM I bought from the neighbor's estate sale for $40 and a 1937 KHM I bought from St Vincent de Paul's for $25. I don't know if this poster is still active but maybe those prices will provide some data points. My '37 doesn't work (very well) since it has a warped carriage rail and I don't use it. But the '36 is a good typer. Only prob left is the ribbon vibrator won't quite raise the ribbon high enough on the "a" key. I've adjusted the vibrator adjuster underneath as far as it will go. The real prob is the U-bar is tilting to the side when the keys on the far right or far left of the keyboard are use. The U-bar pivots are loose from wear I think.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

10-12-2015 23:18:01  #6

That (1936 KHM in pics) is the nicest one I've seen.

I love KHMs. They are not as abundant as you might think. I marvel at the finish on them. It is so durable they should use it on tanks! I've had four. They type fast and solid.

"We didn't exactly believe your story Miss O'Shaugnessy. We believed your two hundred dollars."

11-12-2015 06:02:09  #7

Well, I don't have a KHM yet, but I have a Royal 10 I got for $60, and it has the double windows...

Id keep your KHM though, they look really nice when cleaned up. Don't forget, its from the Netherlands, so theres something special about it

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

12-12-2015 20:30:10  #8

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Well, I don't have a KHM yet, but I have a Royal 10 I got for $60, and it has the double windows...
Id keep your KHM though, they look really nice when cleaned up. Don't forget, its from the Netherlands, so theres something special about it

If the Royal 5s and early Royal 10s were Art Nouveau in style, the KHMs were the "standard" (pun intended) for
streamline Art Deco influence. I intend to keep my KHM. They were not produced in great numbers (by Royal standards) and most of those I've come across were better used for parts machines.

Love those dual pane 10s as well. Enjoy yours.

"We didn't exactly believe your story Miss O'Shaugnessy. We believed your two hundred dollars."

Board footera