You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-1-2015 15:21:16  #1

Smith Corona protable, about 1960

I lately got a Smth Corona portable, 1960 ish,  it types well but the carriage feel slugish..  The draw string will still pull it along, but when I move it by hand it seems too tight, like I can hear the barings roll, and there is no play.  There is even little wear marks in the tracks where the barrings  roll. My guess is that the carriage is too tightly set.  How do I give it more play?

15-1-2015 16:50:01  #2

Re: Smith Corona protable, about 1960

Did you clean the carriage rails and check for rust or other obstructions first? One of the first things I do with any new machine I get is to clean the rails really well and oil them - lightly - with sewing machine oil.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-1-2015 20:12:57  #3

I did clean it well.  In fact it had alot or erassor rubber in it, so I was careful to get it out.  But it feels like the carriage is too tightI , no play at all.  I have a 1951 Smith also ant it has a little play in the carriage, and it works great.   I saw some screws in the back of the carriage rails, where the rail split,looks like one could widen them a bit, but I cannot get at them..There is a back p late covering the access to the rail.  That plate is held on by plastic caps over the ends  of the carriage, cannot see how tdo get them off.  (I took the carriage off a 1935 Smith by loosening those screws, and the rail split and off came the carriage.)  Does that look right to you.  Do you know how toget the plastic end caps off?

24-1-2015 18:08:24  #4

I recently figured out how to adjust the jails on the Smith.   Taking off the end caps of the carriage, there are a couple screws on the left side and a rod that clips tightly on the right side of the cap,  swinging back exposing the back plate,which swings out too.   Inside you see the back rail held on by four or five screws, I loosened them a bit and let the rail come out a tad.  The back rail--which is the top one--was now looser and the carriage moved easily.  Now wedging a screw driver against the rail and a back tab bar, I forced the carriage rail forward to the right tightness and tightened the screws:  came out perfect.   
      Thankyou for the encouragement and lubing tip.

Board footera