You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-2-2015 18:16:04  #1

Underwood Elliot Fisher Noiseless 1945?

1I was recently given this typewriter, and what a unique machine it is.  Searching the internet, I found pictures that match the one I have.  Earlier machines have glass top keys, this has black plastic, and plastic spool tops.  The strange thing is, to me that is, the key bars are doubled, that is two arms to a slug.  And it is almose noiseless!  At first the slugs did not seem to hit the platen, but after reinking the ribbon with stamp-pad ink, I saw they did.  It has a nice quick action, but the print is seen only after the word passes the printng action.  You have to know your keys, which I do so that is not matter.    

Has enyone experienced this type of Underwood before, and know what they are all about?  I read that Remington made them for Underwood, but why weren't they more popular, or why aren't they seen more?  It is really solidly made.

02-2-2015 18:21:37  #2

Re: Underwood Elliot Fisher Noiseless 1945?

Something got erased from the foregoing.  I was writing about an Underwood-Elliot-fisher Noisless typewriter. I identifited the make from a picture on the internet; it appeared to be about a 1945 model.  It is a portable.

02-2-2015 18:27:56  #3

Is this the model you're talking about?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-2-2015 19:18:31  #4

Given the description, I think it is the standard sized Noiseless. These have two letters/figures on each slug.

02-2-2015 19:23:54  #5

Guess I'll Try wrote:

1I was recently given this typewriter, and what a unique machine it is.  Searching the internet, I found pictures that match the one I have.  Earlier machines have glass top keys, this has black plastic, and plastic spool tops.  The strange thing is, to me that is, the key bars are doubled, that is two arms to a slug.  And it is almose noiseless!  At first the slugs did not seem to hit the platen, but after reinking the ribbon with stamp-pad ink, I saw they did. 

I read somewhere that the distance of the platen from the striking point could be adjusted, and that this is often mistaken for touch control. Try fiddling with that lever (on the front panel) to see if it makes a difference. If we are talking about the same machine, it uses two characters per slug because the "noiseless" action makes the slugs thicker and therefore to fit all the letters and figures they had to combine some on the same slug. It's a genius design, really.

02-2-2015 23:52:33  #6

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Given the description, I think it is the standard sized Noiseless. These have two letters/figures on each slug.

He described it as being a portable, and he created this thread in the portable sub-forum, so I hope it isn't a standard.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-2-2015 17:28:13  #7

Yes, it is portable--sorry for the delay, I have just submitted another article on the same machine.  The typewriter looks like the picture you posted, but with crinkle finish, and only the Underwood Noiseless 77 printed on the front bar below the keyboard.  I haven't checked the "touch control" to see if that adjust's the platen, but will.   

07-4-2015 16:53:57  #8

Did check the touch control but it does not affect the position of the platen.  But...there is a nut in the back of the carriage that does.   It us on the right side, looking forward from the back.  A screw holds it tight, then when turning it, it adjust the platen.

09-4-2015 12:09:46  #9

That's a beautiful piece

Board footera