You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-3-2015 17:49:05  #11

Re: Wonky Hermes 3000 shift key

I have a Hermes 3000 that looks like yours.  I have taken the bottom off without much trouble.   Sometimes you can trace a lever back underneath the machine and find the problem.  It could be a loose screw or a bent guide.  Such things are fairly easy to repair.   Not that I would suggest you start unhooking things, but it could be obvious. I have done a number of repairs from an unhooked type bar, a bent typebar.  

15-3-2015 17:31:23  #12

Turns out the wobbly shift key was an easy fix once I got the bottom off the machine. The first series of slots the key bars pass though constrain the lateral movement of the keys. The one keeping the right shift key in position was bent way up. No idea how that could have happened, but it did. A little pressure with the tip of my finger and it was back in position! Now the shift key stays where it belongs.

Since I had the bottom off I blew out all the dust and then one thing led to another and two hours later was polishing up the case. It's a beauty now!

Thanks everyone for checking their machines and letting me know I had a definite issue.

16-3-2015 13:17:03  #13

WIWriter I'm glad you were able to sort out the shift key issue.  I recently acquired a 1965 Hermes 3000 (according to the S/N) and it looks very much like yours.  I had my local typewriter guy service it and, wow, what a fantastic machine.  

19-3-2015 08:45:41  #14

WIWriter, I'm pleased to say that I have just won - that is, I was the only bidder - this Hermes 2000 - for £3! And no shipping. It's in Tunbridge Wells, which is a bit like me living in Brooklyn and going to get it in Westchester, but I am well pleased. And from the type sample they posted it appears to be pica! 

19-3-2015 13:18:56  #15

KatLondon, congrats on scoring that beautiful Hermes 2000. I have never seen one in real life before. But I've only recently been bitten by the typewriter bug. This one looks like it'll clean up wonderfully.

Board footera