You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-6-2015 20:40:35  #21

Re: What hobbies do you have?

beak wrote:

Funny, but the other things that I do, I don't consider to be 'hobbies'; they are essential investigations!

The list of 'hobbies' is a long one....  there's so much to be interested in.  Time is not a problem; I never watch TV!

I like that!  My "research" into the history of phones, pens, and now typewriters isn't as passtime or hobby.  It's essential investigation!  (For me at least.)  Also glad to read someone else doesn't might not be that interested in TV. : )

Can join the last of other shutterbugs.  Got started in photography in 1979 & high school journalism.  Didn't know how much I missed it until received a D610 this Christmas.  Luckily I saved most of my glass-- even if manual focus for old F-3.

Also draw cartoons, play trumpet & enjoy jazz & 'lounge" music from late 50's to about 1963. 

15-6-2015 05:01:38  #22

"My hobbies include flea-market hunting" Id have to second this.
I also like to go metal detecting, and of course, collect typewriters, and really anything old.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

06-7-2015 10:24:52  #23

I have always been interested in trains, and my youngest brother and I have a small model railroad that wraps around the corner of our bedroom. We have some Lionel electric trains from the Fifties that belonged to our Father and Grandfather, and we put them up at Christmas. Other interests are steam engines, marine steam engines, passenger liners and passenger trains, railroad dining cars and china patterns, piston-engined aircraft especially flying boats, Gothic architecture, ancient Roman civil engineering especially the water supply and baths, railroad and canal engineering, Marx Brothers films, reading nautical fiction especially C. S. Forester, Alexander Kent (aka Douglas Reeman), Patrick O'Brian and others of that ilk. Lacrosse, wrestling and cross-country were my prep school sports. I enjoy hunting, fly fishing, crabbing, mountain biking, primitive back-packing and camping.

Rick

"I'll wrestle you for that typewriter."

20-2-2016 20:01:36  #24

Alongside of typewriters and typing, it has to  be music.  I LOVE music--all kinds--especially big band, jazz, country, et cetera.  In fact, when I'm repairing and/or using my play-pretties, I put on some Glenn Miller or Tommy Dorsey or Ray Anthony and I may not even come up for air for hours.  

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

03-4-2016 18:27:42  #25

TypewriterKing wrote:

Alongside of typewriters and typing, it has to  be music.  I LOVE music--all kinds--especially big band, jazz, country, et cetera.  In fact, when I'm repairing and/or using my play-pretties, I put on some Glenn Miller or Tommy Dorsey or Ray Anthony and I may not even come up for air for hours.  

I forgot a few more:  I LOVE train spotting, cooking, old car spotting, and spending time with my girlfriend.

04-4-2016 11:49:19  #26

Ham radio, although I'm cooling on that hobby now. I'm down to just one radio net on Friday nights using a digital mode called PSK. I don't buy old radios anymore (I couldn't fix most of them myself anyway).  I still occasionally DX (listen to distant radio stations) at night. I am also, I guess, into cooking. I thought everybody had to learn something about cooking just to stay alive, but a lot of people don't seem to know much about even the basics. I also type in my journal, though I wouldn't call that a hobby.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

04-4-2016 12:39:54  #27

I spend a lot of time listening to old-time radio shows from the 1930s-40s-50s. I was not alive for any of that and am deeply grateful to the internet for providing me with a chance to listen.

01-5-2016 23:42:37  #28

You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

05-5-2016 20:02:07  #29

This is an odd question since I would assume that for most members here typewriters are a hobby! You mean there are people with enough time for two hobbies? I have no other hobbies at present but I did in my yut build many plastic kits and some model airplanes (the flying variety).

I remember one just now - it was a sailplane, not really a model of anything but simply a glider with a three or four foot wingspan. I took it out to a Long Island with me (NYC suburb) on a visit to a friend, where we gave it a test flight in a field near his house. I did not expect much so I did not bother setting the "dethermalizer" (a piece of clothesline used as a slow smoldering fuse which eventually melts a rubber band and pops up the elevator and stalls the glider)... gee, I can't remember now if the method of launching was to tow it up or if it had a rubber motor and a propeller.  Anyway on its maiden flight it certainly caught one (a thermal) and suddenly soared high into the air and flew away until it vanished in the haze! Success! Sort of.

The story did not end there. I had put my name and phone number on the wing, and a few days later we got a call from a doctor who lived on Long Island and work at in upper Manhattan who found the thing on his lawn. I say "we" because my father picked up the phone - I must have been around 13 - and didn't even tell me what the call was about or let me talk to the guy! Though I figured it out from hearing one end. He did not regard it as safe for me to travel to upper Manhattan so he went to pick it up for me - I can't remember why I didn't come with him - and when he got back he was angry with me for making so much trouble! Geez. So I never found out just how far the plane flew before landing on the doctor's lawn. I must have lost interest in that hobby since I can't recall ever flying it again. It only ever had one flight, but it was a good 'un!

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

11-5-2016 06:11:58  #30

Oh dear, where to start? My main hobby is wristwatches. Been collecting them for the last 20 years.
I also have around thirty fountain and ballpoint pens, six 35mm film cameras and thirteen typewriters.
Oh, and four rotary telephones.
Basically, the way I see it, when you have more than three of something, it's a collection. Socks and underwear don't count.
Gotta thin down some of this stuff one of these days. I've reached a point where I'd just like to keep the things that I actually use.

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

Board footera