You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-6-2016 17:56:55  #231

Re: Your Ebay watch list

Uwe wrote:

Repartee wrote:

...improbably has a QWERTY keyboard. Even more improbable I believe the sticker on the front has a New York, NY address...

Why improbable?

Because the machine is located in Romania. I should have mentioned that rather than leaving it to chance that the reader would notice the location. 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

14-6-2016 10:47:38  #232

Repartee wrote:

Because the machine is located in Romania. I should have mentioned that rather than leaving it to chance that the reader would notice the location. 

Ah, that does make it a little unusual then, but typewriters do travel, and undoubtedly there are many reasons why a QWERTY keyboard would be found in Romania. QWERTZ keyboards, for example, are actually fairly common in my area. One of my favorite typewriters was manufactured in Germany, originally shipped and sold to someone in Namibia, then at some point it traveled back to Germany, and after an unknown number of owners finally ended up with me and now resides in Toronto.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-6-2016 06:02:08  #233

Uwe wrote:

...typewriters do travel... One of my favorite typewriters was manufactured in Germany, originally shipped and sold to someone in Namibia, then at some point it traveled back to Germany, and after an unknown number of owners finally ended up with me and now resides in Toronto.

Well, that is at least the equal of my most traveled example. Manufactured in Sarajevo, made its way to Kazakhstan, shipped to NYC.  Arrived safely in a Kazakh post express post and fairly quickly - so it would be possible to set up some regular light commerce from here with Kazakhstan via international post. Small world and etc.

Cyrillic typeface and looks just like one in first Russian music video I posted not too long ago. Note to self: learn Russian. Talk about hunt and peck.

16-6-2016 14:56:59  #234

I took my 1955 Remington Quiet-Riter to Turkey for a year when I was in the Air Force. The case got crunched onthe shipping back, but it saved the typewriter inside. Still a good typer!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

18-6-2016 10:07:58  #235

Check out this wonderfully preserved 1935 Japy typewriter, which was far ahead of its time. You would swear the machine was made twenty or thirty years later! 

1935-Japy-P90-Typewriter

It does have the AZERTY keyboard, rarely offered for sale in this part of the world. Has anybody learned to touch type on this keyboard and is anybody known to have been able to type on either keyboard? I'd be afraid even to try in case it messed up my use of QWERTY.

22-6-2016 09:51:21  #236

That appears to be a rebranded third-generation Hermes 3000 - an arrangement I've never heard of before... So call it 35 years later!

Here, have a look

Last edited by Uwe (22-6-2016 10:48:41)

22-6-2016 11:23:47  #237

I thought it was a 3rd gen 3000 at first too, but I think it's actually a 2nd generation.

24-6-2016 16:50:04  #238

Yes, second generation Hermes 3000.  In theory, the Japy is the original and the Hermes the re-branding !  Japy had a close relationship with Hermes for many years and by the 1960's almost all of their range were Hermes built under licence.  The exception was the flat portable which was the Patria design rather than the Hermes Baby clone that you would expect.  By the late 1960's, Hermes had taken the Japy factory over and transferred production of the 3000 there.  So the 3000 had now become a Japy product.  Until Japy was completely subsumed into the Hermes organisation, I guess that they produced and sold some 3000s under their own name - and this is one of them.  In England, Japy products were often sold as 'Beaucourt', including the Patria portables and an office machine with a lock that you could operate to prevent someone using the machine.  The office machine had a style all of its own but inside the casing it was a Hermes Ambassador !

26-6-2016 12:27:14  #239

Repartee wrote:

Cyrillic typeface and looks just like one in first Russian music video I posted not too long ago. Note to self: learn Russian. Talk about hunt and peck.

On my last (too brief) trip to Russia, I tried to get my hosts to point me to an antique bazaar so I could pick up an old Soviet typewriter--a nice black Moskva, ideally. They sneered at the idea, because really--who in their right mind would want to do that?!  ;) 

26-6-2016 16:11:32  #240

I would give my right eyetooth to have a Russian typewriter.  In fact, I have a smattering of Russian in my blood from my Dad's side.  I've also heard that Russian stuff was built to last (I'm not sure where I got the idea from, but I would at least like to have a Russian-made typewriter).  The closest I have is a Czechoslovakian Consul portable typewriter made in 1950.  That one is made very well.  When I got it, the variable line spacer was missing, so I fashioned one for it from an old Smith-Corona pull-type variable line spacer.  It's a push-type on the Consul, but I got it to work.  Next time you get the opportunity to get a Russian typewriter,  G-R-A-B   I-T!!!!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera