You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-10-2015 08:35:15  #1

My SM8 has sprung a spring!

I was just deciding that this would be one of my two NaNoWriMo machines, which I am still follishly thinking of attempting to do. Then the carriage suddenly ran really, really sluggish - though only on the return. So I gave the whole thing a fantastic deep clean, and with horror realised that I appear not to have done this when I bought the machine. (It worked so well & I was so blinded by love...) Well, it is now running better again but THIS has come out of it. Any ideas where I should put it? Can someone maybe upload a picture of the underside of theirs? Thanks, guys... 

25-10-2015 15:49:34  #2

Re: My SM8 has sprung a spring!

Hello Kat !  Your mystery spring is the backspace pawl return spring.  Have a look in the carriage bed (looking downwards from the top of the machine) and you should be able to work out where it should go.  Operate the backspace to make it more obvious to find.  You should be able to put it back without removing the carriage, but it is a bit of a pain to do !

25-10-2015 16:18:30  #3

I want to add that whenever asking about mystery parts it can be very helpful to give dimensions, or take a photo of the part next to a ruler.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-10-2015 17:20:46  #4

As said, it looks to be a backspace spring. Should be fairly easy to put back on... I think.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera