You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-6-2015 23:45:47  #1

Understanding Differences Between the FACIT TP1 and TP2

Hi all.

I have been reading up on the Facit TP1 and TP2, and I must admit that I find myself quite confused. (Thanks to some of you for your blog postings on this typewriter!) The material shared is very interesting, but my head spins when I read the Typewriter Database, which states that the TP1 and TP2 assignment was most likely for purpose of export, however, the typewriter itself was placed in 3 different series’.

According to the Typewriter Database, the following is true: a.) Series 1 was manufactured from 1958-1960, b.) Series 2 was manufactured from 1960-64, and c.) Series 3 was manufactured from 1965-1968. Once again, these do not coincide with the TP1 and TP2 designations. As I understand it, the only difference between the TP1 and TP2 is in design (rounded versus sharp edges), but what is the difference between series’ and how does this coincide with designation?

I am basically cleaning up a 1963 TP1 (P 314511) and a 1965 TP2 (P 469803), and am trying to understand enough to share with my partner who is the proud owner of these two typewriters, his first ever. Thanks.

P.S. I also note from photos that the earlier TP1 had a medallion, and the later TP1 had the center name plate. However, his TP1 has a name plate AND a medallion? That has only managed to make me ask more questions.

http://liv2type.liv2btru2u.com/TP1-RA84-IMPERIAL.jpg

Thanks.
John-Richard

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

12-6-2015 08:35:13  #2

Re: Understanding Differences Between the FACIT TP1 and TP2

For what it's worth, the source of the information you quoted from the database is someone who I have disagreed with a few times in the past - including on the subject of Facit portables. In this particular case his comments were posted without any mention of where he got his information from, so naturally I'm left to wonder if it's just speculation on his part, or actual fact that came from a reliable source. Not to get off-topic, but I've found that our hobby is full of enthusiasts who make assumptions based on little to no evidence and who will state their opinions as though they were fact. And since some of these collectors take exception when you ask for the source of their information, I've completely stopped commenting on the statements of others in the database.

Back to your question. The information you're questioning from the database is poorly written and consequently difficult to understand. I wouldn't blame the author as English is no doubt a second language for him, but I also wouldn't have inserted that comment in the Facit serial number list without clarifying exactly what it means (and verifying the source of his information). As it stands the comments just cause confusion, as is evidenced by your legitimate questions here.

I would completely ignore the comment unitl it is better explained. However, if you can't wait until then, you could read through all of the author's Facit database entries and try to piece together his logic for the different "series" designations. I glanced at a couple and didn't have the patience to continue once I realized he was using the photos on Facit manual covers (and their print date) to determine which "series" a machine belonged to. He also claims the "P" stands for Privat, but then what of the "T"? The common consensus used to be that TP stood for "Typewriter Portable", but if it is a Swedish acronym (Privat is Swedish for personal), shouldn't the acronym be "SP1" and "SP2" instead when you consider the Swedish word for typewriter is skrivmaskin?

With respect to the other part of your question, I have examples of both models, but to be honest I haven't as of yet spent any time trying to figure out the differences between them. Considering the two models coexisted, you would imagine that there must be a few substantial differences between them other than a differently shaped case. My first guess would be different feature sets, but both models - to my knowledge - were available with, or without, a tabulator. Differerent key sets? Nope, both had 44 keys. Maybe it's something as simple as the TP1 having been produced first, and then the TP2 was introduced as a more modern design, but Facit decided to continue offering the TP1 to give buyers a choice?

It's a good question you've asked, one I'd like to know the answer to, so please share it with us when you figure it out.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-10-2015 23:38:57  #3

Re: Understanding Differences Between the FACIT TP1 and TP2

I'm refurbishing a TP2, serial number P 464066. The chassis needs a repaint and I couldn't find any info on the color to be used.
Anyone have a pantone spec for the TP2 color?

Thank you very much!

Board footera