You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-10-2015 15:30:54  #1

REVIEW - 1932 Imperial The Good Companion

Background: This is a review of my 1932 Imperial "The Good Companion" made in Leicaster, England. I bought this typewriter in 2014 from a seller on eBay listed as a "Buy it Now" auction for around $50 USD. It was my first typewriter after I became interested in them. I didn't know much about typewriters other than I knew I wanted one from the 30s or 40s. I thought this one looked pretty good so I decided to get it. The seller had good feedback and said it worked so I decided to go for it. Most sellers have a return policy as well backed by eBay.

Features: There's nothing too special about the features of this typewriter. It has all the basic features including a red, black, and stencil ribbon selector, shift lock, left and right margins, margin release, single/double line spacing selector, and ribbon direction selector (a push-pull knob hidden on the lower right side) among other standards. The ribbon spools are smaller than a generic "universal ribbon" I had bought to replace the dried up ribbon it came with. I had to unwind the ribbon from the new plastic ones and wind the ribbon back onto the old metal ones so that I could install the new ribbon into the typewriter. Not sure if I can buy Imperial The Good Companion sized replacement typewriter ribbons. It came with it's orignial case which has seen quite a bit of wear. The latch works but there is no key for the lock. This typewriter also includes the British currency pound symbol.

Performance: The typewriter types very well as far as my amateur experience is concerned. When I received it all that was needed was some cleaning up and lubrication. All features were intact, functional, and working. However, once in a while it will double space whether you are typing a letter or spacing. Not sure why that is yet, I haven't tried to fix it. Everything else works great and it will type as fast and as much as you want. The only minor thing I have noticed is that the letter "i" whether lower case or capital usually only prints faintly or not at all unless you use more pressure than the other keys. The bell is nice and loud...most of the time anyway. 

Pros: This is a pretty small typewriter and it works well without having to do any major repairs or adjustments, perfect for an amateur like me. The paint is in amazing shape and the decals are mostly still intact but with a little wear. This is a sharp looking typewriter, it shined up pretty good. It didn't cost me much either which was good considering I am an amateur and didn't really know what I was getting. The design made it pretty easy to get inside and do a light to medium cleaning of most of the mechanisms and relubricate them without having to disassemble.

Cons: It only has a platen knob and carriage release lever on one side of the carriage. The rollers on the paper bail are bare metal rather than rubber, I prefer the latter. The paper table is angled in such a way that it is difficult to see what you are typing without stopping and leaning forward. There is no paper guide or tab stops. The carriage return/line space lever is short and points straight up instead of horizontally forward, towards the typist. It doesn't matter much because the typewriter is so small but I prefer the latter configuration. The lever does fold forward but it doesn't stay, as a small spring pulls it back upright. I am not sure if this is because something is broken or if it's just a mechanism to facilitate placing the machine in it's case, as the case does seem to push it forward when you do this. The typewriter occasionally double spaces and won't print the letter "i" boldly enough. The keys seem to be covered in a thin metal or other material and the silverish gold colored metal bands that line the perimeters of keys and secure the metal finish seem to be loose, which cause several of the letters to spin and become disoriented. Two keys have their finish completey scraped off, which doesn't feel very pleasant. One of the biggest things about this typewriter is the sound it makes. I expected to receive a typewriter that produced that classic sound; the soft snap, snap, snap, of the key slugs against the platen. This typewriter, however, makes more of a rattling "clunk, clunk, clunk" noise. I also don't prefer the action. I akin this typewriter to a long trigger pull on a double action pistol.

Rating I only have two typewriters and have never rated a machine but I will make the guess that this typewriter is about a 5 out of 10. 

"Little bitty stingin' rain and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways and sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath!"

27-10-2015 17:15:47  #2

Re: REVIEW - 1932 Imperial The Good Companion

Thanks for the review!

It might be worth seperating the pros and cons of a particular machine's design from its shortcomings that are a result of it needing repairs or maintenance. After all, a letter that doesn't imprint correctly - for example - is a problem that any typewriter can suffer from and is an issue that requires adjustment rather than it being a fault in the model's overall design. Despite this, there's still value in reporting issues you might be experiencing with your own particular machine as it can reveal overall weaknesses in a design or issues that are common to a specific model when others report the same thing. 

I have to agree with you that it's a visually appealing typewriter, and one thing I like (and dislike) is that Impreial kept certain key design elements from this model through several generations of subsequent models.

HanksFan wrote:

Cons: It only has a platen knob and carriage release lever on one side of the carriage... There is no paper guide or tab stops.

This is fairly common for portables that were produced during the Great Depression. Many manufacturers produced stripped-down budget models during that time, and in comparison to some of them, your Imperial is actually a fairly loaded model. Again, not sure it's a con with respect to the model; sure, it might be an annoyance for a current day buyer who can choose from over a century's worth of different typewriter models, but should it count as a strike against the model's design if parts were intentionally omited to keep its cost down?

HanksFan wrote:

The paper table is angled in such a way that it is difficult to see what you are typing without stopping and leaning forward.

You've nailed one of my biggest beefs with Imperial portables (pre-Litton models). You have to hover over the machine if you want to read what you're typing, which is annoying at best. On the flip side, I suppose it's a quirk that the brand is known for, and something that you can find endearing at the same time. I really like using Imperial portables (the standards too), but when it comes to this design oddity I've resigned myself to only seeing the type after I've pulled the paper out of the machine.

HanksFan wrote:

Rating I only have two typewriters and have never rated a machine but I will make the guess that this typewriter is about a 5. 

A 5 out of what? Out of 5? Or 10?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-10-2015 18:17:51  #3

I love the cocky angles some of your letters are at - don;t ever try to fix that! 

I have a later Good Companion, from the mid-fifties, and have taken an irrational dislike to these machines. We also gave my partner's kid a GC5 (I think - 1962) for XMas last year, and while he quite likes it, its charm has kind of worn off for me. This older one is very pretty though, and you might like to know that John Lennon grew up with one of these.

I kind of like the laidback-paper thing. My old Remington portable does it too.

28-10-2015 15:39:30  #4

Thanks for the response, Uwe. Those were some very interesting points!

Uwe wrote:

It might be worth seperating the pros and cons of a particular machine's design from its shortcomings that are a result of it needing repairs or maintenance. After all, a letter that doesn't imprint correctly - for example - is a problem that any typewriter can suffer from and is an issue that requires adjustment rather than it being a fault in the model's overall design. Despite this, there's still value in reporting issues you might be experiencing with your own particular machine as it can reveal overall weaknesses in a design or issues that are common to a specific model when others report the same thing.

I thought about leaving those certain items that are in disrepair in the performance section. You make a good point and I agree with you on that.

Uwe wrote:

A 5 out of what? Out of 5? Or 10?

Haha, I was going by your suggestions on typewriter reviews in the FAQ. So, 5 out of 10

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it was very interesting and informative.

"Little bitty stingin' rain and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways and sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath!"

28-10-2015 16:52:44  #5

HanksFan wrote:

Haha, I was going by your suggestions on typewriter reviews in the FAQ. So, 5 out of 10

My turn to laugh because I'm such a dope. I have a terrible memory and forgot that I'd posted those guidelines! I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of adding the "10" to your original post just in case someone else wonders about it. Anyway, bravo for putting a review together. I'd love to see one for your other machine too!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-10-2015 07:51:48  #6

Haha that's okay. Yes, stay stuned for the next review I will be doing on my other (favorite) typewriter.

29-10-2015 07:52:18  #7

stuned = tuned* lol.

Board footera