You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-10-2015 10:43:38  #1

Remington Letter-Riter - Right side keys don't advance carriage

I picked up a 1956 Remington Letter-Riter that has an odd problem.  Typing letters on the left side of the keyboard both makes an impression and moves the carriage to the next space.  Using keys on the right side prints a letter, but does not advance the carriage.  The next letter is typed over the previous one.  The space bar advances the carriage all the way from the left margin to the right one.  Looking from below, the left keys seem to type with a stronger action than the right side keys.  I looked for a loose or bent bard under the machine, but cannot locate one?  

I would be grateful for any advice.

27-10-2015 10:57:19  #2

Re: Remington Letter-Riter - Right side keys don't advance carriage

I'm guessing, but maybe it's a bent universal bar? When you press on any of the left side keys you should see that they all actuate a bar that runs almost the width of the machine. That bar should be be nice and straight, equidistant from all the key bars. If it isn't, or if it's come loose from its pivot point on the right side, it's possible that the other keys are not moving it as they should.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-10-2015 10:00:54  #3

Thank you!  That is the problem.  The bar is firmly in place, but much closer to the keys on one side than on the other.  It is pretty solid and strong, so I am not sure if bending it away from the problem keys is the way to go or how to actually do that without damaging other parts of the typewriter.  

28-10-2015 16:45:15  #4

Does the bar appear to be straight? Are the pivot points for it located at the same spot for both ends? At this point you'll have to carefully examine it and its associated linkages to determine why exactly it isn't equidistant across all of the key levers. Take your time with this. And I'd advise not to bend or force anything until you're absolutely certain what the problem is.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-10-2015 15:14:49  #5

Thanks for good advice.  It does appear straight and the pivot points are located at the same points on the frame.  However, the keys on one side are definitely closer to the bar than on the other, but the basket does not seem to move when I have the typewriter upside down.  I will go slow and see what I can find before doing anything that I cannot easily reverse.  

Board footera