You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-7-2013 13:10:05  #11

27-7-2013 13:35:42  #12

Re: What typewriter is this really?

abstractsbybrian wrote:

BTW, what ribbon would this typewriter take?

Either will work. The great thing about typewriters is that the vast majority of them all use the same size of ribbon. Some machines have smaller spools - in other words they don't hold as much ribbon - but you can still buy any generic ribbon that you find available. Some office supply stores like Staples and Office Depot still carry ribbon too. Look for it where they stock ribbon for calculators and adding machines.

Most typewriters will also work the generic spools that the replacement ribbon comes with, your Sterling is as an example of one that will. The worst case scenario when it comes to other typewriter models when ordering ribbon is that you might have to transfer the ribbon from the spool in came on to the one currently being used by the machine. Some spools are specific to the machine. Some models, like several manufactured by Royal - or even the Woodstock I just bought - have spools that trigger the ribbon mechanism to reverse direction, something a generic spool won't do. 

In short, the spools and ribbons in the links you posted should work fine on your machine. 

One final note: Never throw empty or replaced spools in the garbage. Trust me, one day you'll be glad that you hung onto them.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-7-2013 17:02:45  #13

Pricing is always subjective and can vary widely depending on the condition of the machine. A dusty machine found in a closet is worth far less to me than the same machine after it has been cleaned/oiled/inspected/adjusted. IF you intend to use it, you are taking a gamble on a machine that hasn't been checked out and it's worth more to me to know the machine is free of major defects.

Clark

27-7-2013 21:33:15  #14

I've got a total of four right now.  Hard to decide which one to type on.  

Ciao!
Brian S
"Life in itself is simple, we choose the complexities in how we live it", me

27-7-2013 22:52:45  #15

Unless it's something REALLY old or really obscure, the average typewriter will use a 1/2-inch ribbon. You can buy these easily on ebay or from a decent office-supply store for a few bucks. I buy mine from an industrial stationer's shop in the CBD. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

Board footera