You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-11-2015 11:59:33  #1

Ribbon for an International Time Recorder Clock - early 1940's

Hello Everyone

Im new to the Forum, so I hope someone out there can help me.

I live in England, and I am currently renovating an early 1940's International Time Recorder Clock. 

The clock itself, has a clock in and clock mechanism which has a two tone ribbon, 25mm wide.

Because of it's age, the ribbon is completely dried out

As the required ribbon is a two tone one (blue and red) and 25mm wide, its proving to be very hard to find a replacement

Can anyone on the Forum help me with my quest, as maybe my last option is to re ink the ribbon myself, making it a one tone ribbon.

I would have included a picture, but I can't find the attachment button

16-11-2015 12:48:34  #2

Re: Ribbon for an International Time Recorder Clock - early 1940's

You're probably aware that the standard typewriter ribbon is half that size (13 mm), but there were machines that used much larger ribbons and it's a challenge to find ribbons for them as well. I don't know how many different avenues you've tried before ending up here, but if you haven't already, I'd suggest looking into calculator ribbons to improve your odds of finding what you're after.

With respect to re-inking, I've not done it personally, but I have read accounts of those who claimed to have successfully re-inked dual colour ribbons. That might be worth exploring as well. There is also the old method of reviving ribbons using glycerine (search for it online), but I don't know what effect that technique would have a dual colour ribbon.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-11-2015 17:38:35  #3

Alan - At the risk of sounding like an advert, I stock an All-Black one-inch ribbon for time-recorder clocks.  You can find my website by googling THE TYPEWRITER MAN.  And yes, I am in England too !

16-11-2015 18:12:54  #4

Hi
Thanks for the message, and Ive had a quick look at your website.
The wooden spools on my machine don't look like the ones displayed on your website, so I have a number of questions
1 - How will your ribbon attached to the spool I have
2 - On the old ribbon I have, there is a stud at the end, which enables the machine to reverse the ribbon. Do you     sell such a stud
3 - Are the ribbons a certain length
4 - From your experience, can a one-inch blue/red 2 tone ribbon still be bought?

17-11-2015 04:49:55  #5

1 - I only sell the ribbon fabric (on a temporary cardboard former).  You would have to examine your spool to see how the ribbon is attached and use the same method to attach the new fabric.
2 - If you measure the exact length of the old ribbon, I will supply the same length and fit studs (eyelets) for you.
3 - See (2)
4 - No

17-11-2015 06:33:40  #6

I have a 4 cm ribbon but not 2.5 cm...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera